1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ed Whitson Rule.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, Randy Johson really sucked in Houston.. 10-1, 1.28 ERA in half a season

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of people don't seem to comprehend what the Ed Whitson rule really is. Historical perspective ain't for idiots. Pay attention.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bonilla was 32 when he left the Mets, which means he was headed for the downside anyway.

Despite that, he hit .287 for Baltimore in 1996 with 28 home runs, 116 RBIs and 107 runs. The next year he hit .297 for Florida with 17 home runs and 96 RBIs.

Not exactly nothing.

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Alomar and Baerga aren't really fair ones IMO. Based on their stats there and after leaving NY, they were pretty much shot by the time they hit Shea.

Tony Fernandez and Kaz Matsui are two guys that come to mind that should be on this list.

Also, I don't know if they truly fit this category since they started their careers in NY, but had greater success elsewhere (Mets gave up on them too soon?), but Gregg Jefferies and Jeff Kent probably belong in the discussion.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Barry Bonds would disagree that things start sliding at age 32.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, but Dale Murphy wouldn't disagree.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, and yes. yankees fans are idiots ... aren't they gola? ;D

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, the cat who played third base for them a coupla years ago ... went from the rockies to the Ms. be damned if i can't remember his name.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thats Vinny Cash-Stealah

My votes go to AJ Piersinski in San Fran and Chad "Mr. Boycott Jim Gray" Curtis.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Jeff Cirillo

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't they have Castillo too?
    And I'll add the woefully bad Darryl Strawberry-Eric Davis reunion in L.A.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i didn't google, but i don't think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted