1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People LIKE work. It does provide meaning, as Alma says, and as we've all learned the last two months, it's way less boring than sitting at home. I'm retired and I love it, but I loved journalism and at least liked parts of my other jobs.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister-in-law is high up at a mortgage lending company -- and just had her best month financially.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like my job, but I'm missing by far my favorite part of it -- being out at events, shooting photos, interviewing, writing, interacting. Just sitting at home doing the mundane parts of the job is getting old, fast. But at least there seems to be something to look forward to now. Just gotta grind through it for a few more weeks.

Tweener likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This. It's why high school and college students are going to suffer however they end up handling this in the fall.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In my pre-pandemic job, I worked for a manufacturer of outdoor goods. They ran in the $5.99 to $7.99 range.

Every few days, we’d get a post on social media telling us our products were crap because they were made in either China or Central America and how this person only buys Made in the USA (usually posted from an iPhone, ironically). To keep the same profit margin, those same items would run double their current MSRP if made here. Of course, you’d lose X amount of sales by doing that. So your bottom line still might take a hit.

wicked likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True.

But if we make it through the next 12 or 18 or 24 months, develop a vaccine and a testing and tracking protocol and return to a state of safe semi-normal, one way to mitigate these academic interruptions might be to offer vouchers for eventual in-person attendance.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a huge Yang Gang guy or anything, but - I kind of assume that in my lifetime, we get toward some form of Universal Basic Income. Like in my lifetime, it seems like we've lost way more "old" jobs than we've created with new industries. I don't see that trend reversing as things like automated / self-driving cars are completed. (I doubt that happens 5 years from now, but I can see it happening X years from now, in my lifetime.) At a certain point, there isn't going to be enough jobs for "skilled" workers, never mind "unskilled" workers. We might have already reached that point.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

What's wild is he might be the thing holding back the real China hawks.
    Trump on China: "We could cut off the whole relationship"

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that events like this accelerate technological change. I think that, for example, this crisis will greatly speed up the move to electronic invoicing and records (it was happening anyway). And electronic record keeping is actually far more efficient because you can use a search function instead of digging through a file.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Cosmo likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Mexicans thought that NAFTA would be a huge economic boom. While it has been a net positive for the Mexicans it has not really been a boom. The reason is that Mexico had a higher wage structure than China and a lot of the factories the Mexicans thought they could get instead went to China.

If we somehow eliminated all trade with China those jobs will go to Mexico or Honduras or another low wage country. If a company tried, for example, to move the production of plastic gloves to the United States how does he compete with a factory in Malaysia?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Proof: Paycom is one of the trendiest stocks to ride these days...its software tracks WFH efforts.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Right. In a perfect world, we have leadership the allows us to put into place a sort of revenue bank where a portion of money saved/earned by AI and robotics goes into a national fund, from which a cash stipend is paid out to all Americans...sort of a 21st Century version of the Exxon checks Alaskans get.

Draft saved Draft deleted