1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Never be happy with what you have. Always bemoan what you don't have.

That's the American motto.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is ridiculous. Millions of people who had jobs are out of work. We have lost millions of small businesses permanently. More than were lost during the financial crisis.

Who responds to that with, “Why aren’t you happy with what you have?”

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

@BTExpress is one of the best examples of another fine American trait: The inability to see things other than those which directly affect him.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Because I wasn't feeling bad enough about our country, I took a drive down Main Street (literally, here in Ventura) then hopped onto Google Maps and reviewed the recently empty storefronts. By my quick count, in a mile and a half, 14 businesses had closed (or at least relocated). Even if half of them are simply hairdressers that consolidated or leasing agents who now work out of homes, that's still 14 landlords impacted, 14 utility bills and insurance agencies and pest control companies, etc. etc. no longer being paid monthly. I'm not so sure as a society we've completed yet come to grips with the economic pain we're seeing on Main Street, literally and figuratively.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We really have not, and half the population is unwilling to listen to the facts. We're on the up-slope of Covid blowing up again during cough and cold season, which will likely cause as much damage or more as the big wave in the summer. Utterly predictable, and it has been and warnings were issued - and disregarded, largely on partisan political lines.

It is going to require our society learning the way a puppy gets housebroken. Make a mess, get scolded so he knows he did something he shouldn't have, rub his nose in it so he knows what the trouble is, and then whack his butt with a rolled up newspaper to reinforce the idea that he shouldn't do it again.

The problem is that hundreds of thousands of dead people are a far worse punishment than a rolled up paper.

maumann, qtlaw and wicked like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks Biden!

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So...

What did/does the government need to do to save small businesses?

Let everyone go maskless? Just business usual with unusual deaths?
    Bail them out with massive loans, which will probably never get paid back?
    Tell their lenders, landlords and utility companies to forgive payments for a year?

I have heard over and over that free market is best and small business do not want regulated at all, but now they want regulation?

Seriously? What's the freeking answer?

And many small businesses are killing it during COVID. You have a pizza place outside a big subdivision? Home improvement company? Landscaping company? Craft stores? Install pools? Install fences? Killing it.

Dog8Cats and maumann like this.
  9. TigerVols

I think we need to decide if small businesses are as important to American security as the $1 trillion F-35 fighter jet program; if they are, then the solution is pretty simple.

10. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

The answer is pay them to stay closed, but we will never do it.

maumann and Mngwa like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But cutting that will end different jobs.

12. TigerVols

Funny enough this just popped up on teh twitters

Draft saved Draft deleted