1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Going Under Armour?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's not Dan's problem as of Wednesday.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Now I understand why The Athletic floated Martin Jarmond’s name for the ACC commissioner’s job.

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

American style greed based capitalism might be dying but there are others like the Japanese style, for the good of their society, that will likely have to be adopted because there is no other option.
    I’m a capitalist but understand it’s in dire need of reregulation in many areas and there is an unpleasant financial shock coming as this unfolds.

5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

Bankruptcy apparently in the cards for NPC International, franchisee for 1,200+ Pizza Hut locations and almost 400 Wendy's.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most people will read this and say, "Yeah, well the restaurants were shut down, so. ..."

But is a company that had amassed more than $1 billion in debt prior to the pandemic. This company should have been bankrupt a long time ago, but in the survival-of-the-unfittest environment the Fed has kept propped up for the last decade and a half, companies like this, which would never have been able to keep borrowing and refinancing their debt, have been able to borrow relatively cheaply compared to what the loansharks who would have been the only lenders left would have charged them. The company was effectively bankrupt in 2017, but it was able to refinance about $750 billion in debt with loans that are now in default.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm sure most Pizza Huts and Wendy's were open for takeout or drive-through service all through every lockdown.We have neither in my town, but the McDonalds' Starbucks and of course Dunkin's didn't close completely.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wendy's at one point ran out of beef during the pandemic, which led to at least one easy night for copy editors and layout folks across the land. However, my suspicion was that it was more related to what Ragu said than any issues with shortages, since the other fast food places seem to be fine. (I don't even think Wendy's are doing that badly - The fact that they're tethered to 1,500 Pizza Hut restaurants, though, is a problem.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

It's the pandemic, but only in as much as the pandemic was the equivalent of the tide going out and it exposing everyone who was swimming naked. There are a bunch of these franchisee / restaurant companies that were zombie companies already, existing on insane amounts of debt. The pandemic put them into bankrupcy. Others have been CEC Entertainment (Chuck E Cheese), which had somehow managed to amass a billion dollars in debt it can't repay, and the U.S. operations of Le Pain Quotidian.

There is so much of this out there, and a lot of these zombie companies are still being propped up by all of the asset buying the Fed is doing to keep their debt viable and the servicing costs from rising. Every day it goes on, it means the eventual deleveraging is going to be worse than it would be today (or if it had been allowed to happen years ago or never get to this point in the first place).

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

My credit cards aren't as tired from overuse. Through the first six months of the year, I've charged only 54 percent of what I did over the same period a year ago.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I changed my 3% cashback bonus from gasoline to online shopping because I spend so little on gas these days.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The issuing banks are really struggling right now because they can't determine who is credit worthy and who isn't. So they are tightening their lending standards -- things were super loose for a long time, a lot like prior to the bubble that popped in 2007/08/09 on the Fed doing things to run up debt levels, including among consumers.

Right now, thanks to Covid regulations, there is no way for the banks to tell who is in trouble.

‘Flying Blind Into a Credit Storm’: Widespread Deferrals Mean Banks Can’t Tell Who’s Creditworthy

The regulations make it so you can't report to the reporting agencies who has made forebearance plans on their debt. So banks are hamstrung, and as a result they immediately puckered up on lending tighter than a snare drum. American Express has reportedly stopped offering balance transfer deals to try to attract balances, and the other banks have dramatically reduced what and to whom they are offering. Months back, they were actively trying to steal those balances from each other.

I have a bunch of cards in my pocket and I run everything I can through cards, including month bills, to get cash back deals.

Chase is the issuing bank for one of my cards. I have some insane credit limit on the card where I could charge a sports car, but I rarely run more than a couple of hundred bucks through the card in a month. I got a letter from them a month ago saying, "In reviewing your card account, we saw you spent far below your available credit limit in the last 12 months. Because of your limited usage, we're cutting your limit in half in 30 days from the date of this letter."

I called up and had a 2 minute conversation with the rep, who I am guessing did an instant FICO check, and they kept the limit where it was. I don't know what the calculus was in sending a letter like that, but if X percent of people like me don't call and their credit limit gets cut, I guess that is less potential trouble the bank could be facing in the depression they know we are looking at.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted