1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The economy is going to hell around us: So why can't we talk about it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Another thread dumped...and it seems that no matter the impact something has on our lives, we're not to discuss it? What exactly are the parameters? The factors that control the economy is the private (corporate) and public (government) sector. Are we now at a point of pretending this doesn't exist in our lives?

I asked earlier whether honesty and candor from the powers that be would make this more palatable or at least help us as society take a positive step toward some real solutions. I don't know what happened after that because I left, but is this not an honest, non-combative question to ask?

Otherwise, I'd appreciate some thoughts. Journalists used to be the arm of liberty who held these bodies accountable. I'm starting to wonder if our own economics have wearied us of this. Can we do it without attacking persons or political parties?
  2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dear Scribe:

Take it to some "I hate Obama" board and have fun with all the other wingnuts. We don't need you here.
  3. ScribePharisee

That's it. Take an honest question and turn it into something I won't.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Scribe, if you wanted an honest answer about the parameters, you could have sent a PM to one of the mods. The only reason to bypass that option and start another thread is to bitch about the decision.
  5. ScribePharisee

No, I refer to the original question. Would we be better off with honest work in those areas rather than the spin, even if the honesty was brutal and told us, as I believe, that getting real will also mean a lengthy period of pain in society. Would the pain be worth more than the life of denial we tend to want to have?
  6. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

This thread will not end well.

Webby has ruled out political discussions on here. It's his house. If you want to live in it, follow his rules or GTFO.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Go the fuck away, please.
  8. BRoth

BRoth Member

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

There, we're done here.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It is what it is. Deal with it or go somewhere else.

See my signature.
  10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm just glad Starman finally got an avatar. :)
  11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Starman has provided me with a lot of entertainment in his posts today. Starman Justice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.