1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The easiest and toughest subjects in college

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This might interest a few.
    http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/blog/college-solution/5-best-and-worst-college-majors-for-top-grades/1878/

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I do find it interesting that the easiest grades to get are in Education, eventually filling the system with profs who turn around and grade extra hard on the STEM majors as they are reffered to. But I see little problem with grading harder in those areas, I mean I dont want some kid whos teachers took it easy on as the reason he graduated out working as an engineer on a bridge or tower.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Education majors are not people who become professors. They are people who become elementary, middle school, and high school teachers. Professors come out of the humanities and STEM pools. My wife was an elementary ed major and even she rolls her eyes about her 3.9.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Ah hell what do I know? I went to a community college and took Journalism. Good ol' 2-year diploma.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I did find it interesting that grades tended to be lower for majors that tend to have more objective tests (right or wrong) than for majors where professors (or TAs) could view answers more sympatheticly. Surprised communications wasn't on the easy list.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Psych is pretty easy. I'm surprised it was ranked where it was.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It should be, but then again, ome of my classmates were idiots who couldn't manage a B in media law.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Media law was the weedout class at my U. Dept. head, who was also the debate coach and had a reputation for being a real bastard, taught the media law classes and assigned neverending lists of case law for us to memorize. It was worse than studying the Old Testament.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Media law was a bitch at my school, too. My professor literally wrote the textbook we used, and took a couple days off at one point to testify as an expert witness at a trial in another state.
    The final exam consisted of about 20 essay questions worth varying point totals, from 10 to 50. You could do whichever ones you wanted as long as the point totals added up to 100. I did one of the 50-point questions because I knew it. It was a 10-part essay question that took me almost an hour (out of two hours alotted for the exam) to finish. The exam started at 7 a.m. I finished around 9:15 and was one of the first to leave the room.
    Interesting course that covered the major cases you need to be aware of, but DAMN was it tough.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Press Law at my school was a senior-level required course that was the final major hurdle toward a degree in journalism. By the time it came up on your schedule, you were (or should have been) serious about a career in journalism. When I was there it was taught by the head of the communications department and he was very good, but tough. His rep was that he never gave A's, so I busted my ass to prove him wrong and when it was all over I was 1.5 points short of an A. I went to his office to see if there was any way he could curve me into an A, and he said that if I'd been just a half-point short, he'd have given it to me, because he knew how hard I'd worked, but he couldn't do it for a point-and-a-half. I thanked him for being fair and gladly took my B. We've stayed in touch over the years, and there is no one in academia I respect more.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Easiest was writing, because it came natural to me. Psychology was fun, too.

Hardest, by far, was algebra. If it weren't for math, I would be a meteorologist instead of a journalist.

12. JR

JR Active Member

Easiest: Comparative relgiion

Toughest: German Linguistics.

Draft saved Draft deleted