1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i loathe the dunk contest always have. w/o seeing any of these staged jams griffin would get my vote 'cause he gives us spectacular, holy-shit dunks when it COUNTS, during, you know, REAL GAMES.

the way dr. j thrilled us, and then michael j. great players performing breathtaking dunks when it counts is how i'll always judge 'dunk artists.' the rest is all harlem globetrotters bullspit: entertaining but no true measure of a player's crowd-pleasing artistry IN THE HEAT OF BATTLE. when no props are allowed.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I get Durant, but Griffin? He's not even that good if you check out his stats; he is just a highlight show with a couple dunks a game you can just see on Sportscenter. He has to make plenty of strides to be a very good player, or a great player.

Concerning the actual contest, it does bug me to see guys try the same thing for a minute or longer (7-8 tries) then finally make it. Ibaka's dunks were very solid though, as was McGee's three-ball thing. I think Nate Robinson jumping over Dwight Howard was more impressive than Griffin jumping over a Kia.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't like the props. I'll take Dr. J's free throw dunk or the Jordan pump dunk over anything these guys did. Spud Webb's 360 was pretty amazing too.

I could do without the blindfolds or the chairs or the extra basket.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe Griffin's last dunk wasn't the most difficult, but it wasn't as easy as some people are making it out to be. He still had to carry the length of the car hood in the air and not splatter himself on the hood. On top of that, he did it in one take. With all of that set-up, there's some pressure not to screw it up.
    Plus, McGee's last dunk was ho-hum. He definitely shot his load early.
    Yes, Ibaka got screwed and the contest seemed rigged. But watching again, out of those last two dunks Griffin definitely had the better of the two.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm gobsmacked Griffin didn't blow out his knee landing on the hood of the car, like a good Clipper should.

And I'm sorry but it was hi-laree-ous seeing Baron Davis' head poke out of the top of the sunroof.

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Ibaka got screwed...that's all there is to it. DeRozan's second dunk was decent, but not a 50. Then again, it was something that would've gotten a 50 in the '80s, when all the judges would've been in the dunk contest.

Also, I don't understand this coach thing, but Dawkins should be miked up every dunk contest for the rest of his days.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but having a car and a chorus just smells of a fix. I'd highly doubt that a chorus would be there for any of the other dunkers.

Where was Tim Donaghy when you needed him?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. Notice they saved those expensive Griffin props until there were only two dunkers left. There was no chance they would allow Griffin to go out in the early rounds and let that dog and pony show go to waste unseen.

I know it's just a silly meaningless dunk contest, but for a league that's been dealing with a lot of bad publicity about crooked refs and conspiracy theories about real games allegedly being fixed, can't say it was wise to make it so freakin obvious that this little show was rigged.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The car dunk was arguably the most contrived thing I have seen in sports. One the obvious fix. Two it was utterly ridiculous. I used to get a kick out of the dunk contest when it was a straight up dunk contest. Let them enjoy themselves, sure, Hot dog a bit, absolutely, but keep it within the game. This shit of bringing in cars and choirs or cupcakes, or kids looking for toys, or dressing up like Superman is just plain stupid. Sure let a teammate participate, but that's about where I would draw the line. Vince Carter's title was the pinnacle of the dunk contest for me. After him there was little else left for anyone else to do. Sure watching a guy take off from around the FT line and dunking is impressive, but when you see it at least once every year it loses a bit of its pizazz.

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

What is/was your take on bringing in the second basket? Because that was pretty awesome once McGee finally converted.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The bit with the kid was funny, mainly for Cheryl Miller's (was that the female reporter) little comments toward him. First, she said something along the lines of "Who's kid is this?" Then, at the end of the bit, she tells security to get him out of there in a tone that seemed to imply the kid was going to get roughed up in the bowels of Staples Center.
    Makes me wonder if she was actually in on the deal or thought he really did just run out of the stands looking for his stuffed animal.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Petrie: I haven't seen the two basket dunk yet. But I am more ok with that because it is actually using a game item than bringing in a KIA for Griffin to hop over. I put it in the same realm as the 11-foot net.

Draft saved Draft deleted