1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Oh my goodness.

I went from Serge Ibaka got screwed to Griffin shouldn't have been in the final to OMG he just jumped a fucking car.

The dunk contest is back, if only for one supremely badass year.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Fun to watch but I thought DeRozan's dunk was best. Griffin didn't even jump over the tall part of the car.

3. mb

mb Active Member

There were at least four HOLY SHIT! dunks.

A guy took off from the free-throw line ... legitimately, not from a foot in front of it ... *and* grabbed a stuffed animal off the rim with his teeth, and didn't even make it out of the first round.

That's a hell of a dunk contest.

And I'll put up McGee's first round against any round ever.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I can't remember the last time I watched the dunk contest....until tonight.

It used to be appointment viewing for me. Not anymore.

But I did watch tonight, and McGee's dunk on two goals with two balls was the best (and most difficult) I have ever seen.

All four contestants did well and had a ton of originality. Nice to see it again, even it some of it was "forced."

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I realize these guys are doing some absurdly difficult dunks, but it really kills it for me when it takes them 8 tries to make it.

The biggest "holy shit" moment for me was Griffin going over the car, but I thought the best one was probably McGee's back-handed reverse from behind the backboard.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Had it on in the office. Here's how I summed up Griffith's four dunks: A 360 which was hardly original; a dunk that someone else already did (DeRozan) and which he failed on the first four times; a power dunk in which he held onto the rim (that makes it a good dunk?); jumped over the smallest part of the car which was nice presentation, but seriously not a great dunk.

The fact that everyone knew he'd be jumping over a car put him in the finals no matter what - fix! - and then to have that cheesy choir as well. Geez, what has this contest become? Oh, and a fan vote? Other guy never had a chance.

Color me cynical perhaps, but whole thing seemed like a joke to me.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Griffin jumped from the dotted circle inside the free-throw lane and went over the two-foot-tall front of the car.

Color me unimpressed.

And allowing fans to decide via text just shows you how much of a popularity contest it is. Of course, Yao was elected a starter, so I guess it fits.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Griffin's dunk wasn't difficult when compared to say, Nate Robinson jumping over Spud Webb (at 5-7 a good two feet taller than the part of the car Griffin jumpers over) or Dwight Howard.
    The only dunk that really had me saying "wow" was the three-ball dunk. Everything else was so-so.
    The contest isn't going to be able to recapture what it had when Howard was around because no one has his skills or personality.
    And if you look at it objectively, he did four of the five greatest dunk contest dunks of all time - the sticker dunk (name another competitor that could do that); the 12-foot rim dunk; the self-bounce in the air dunk; and the Superman dunk (presentation alone was unmatched by anyone). The other top five dunk? Vince Carter's between the legs off the bounce dunk or his reverse windmill that he opened with.
    This contest would have been a hell of a lot better with Griffin, Howard, LeBron and somebody else. Have those four put down 100K each and make it winner take all; we'd see shit we'd never even dream about.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The crazy thing about Dwight Howard is that he didn't even get the chance to do the "Kiss the Rim" dunk he's capable of.

It was a good show tonight. All four had a case to win it. Blake Griffin is a monster and all, but he was probably least deserving somehow. The competition was that good.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great trick dunks but call me old school. I remember the ABA one where Dr. J. took off from the foul line. Still tops in my book because it was the first.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Took off a step in front of the foul line.

Guy tonight (can't remember who; was watching at an Applebees, and couldn't hear the sound very well) jumped from behind the FT line.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Except he didn't take off from the foul line - he was a step inside it; video's at the 5:34 mark.

Ibaka was the first one to do it without stepping on or over the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted