1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The dumbest question you've ever asked/heard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even say uninformed - poorly worded. Writer wants to know if she's covered anyone other than DeHaan that was that tall before.

2. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

It seemed more like this was the first event they were covering and they were asking if she had ever played anybody that tall in her career. I'll agree that it was uninformed, more because I'm not sure this person knew the two players faced off five times before that game. I think they were looking for the shock and awe, "Oh my she's so tall," quote, but didn't realize the shock wore off a few years prior.

I'm not saying I've never asked a dumb question, but normally when you ask an uninformed question, you come out looking dumb.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's better to ask a dumb question than to be afraid to sound dumb.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Podunk High was one win away from the state basketball tournament. Had been held scoreless in the third quarter only to lose to two points.

Reporter: "Coach, talk a little bit about that third quarter. How pivotal was it?"

Coach: "Let's see. We don't score any and then we lose by two. Hang on, you're not a sports reporter. You're from one of those big Washington, D.C., think tanks, aren't you?"

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

It's 1990, and the Reds were in the World Series against the A's. I'm a rookie covering Vice President Dan Quayle's landing at the local airport, about 200 miles from Cinci. Safely Reds territory.

Quayle's not supposed to take questions, but he wanders over to the media line, which is me, our newspaper photographer and a radio guy. He says he has time for one question.

It's my first interview of a national newsmaker, so I'm pretty juiced. I want to ask him so badly about Bush raising taxes, about unemployment, about the national deficit. I think I can take the VP down and make my mark. But Before I can open my mouth, the radio guy pipes up, "Mr. Vice President, how 'bout those Reds?"

Damn, damn, damn. Quayle knocks the softball out of the park, the radio guy gets his soundbite, and I'm left holding my dick as the man walks away. Didn't even occur to me that he probably would have taken my question, too. And it took me years to realize that my questions would have sucked as bad as the radio guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted