1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Duck Commander Independence Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If they don't make the official colors Realtree camo and give out calls as gifts I will be disappointed.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/23/5440230/shreveport-now-hosts-the-duck-commander-independence-bowl

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

They will need to rope off a few sections for all the funny people.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's awesome.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah. I can remember when it was the Poulon Weedeater Bowl and its representatives would show up in press boxes wearing the brightest red blazers I've ever seen.

5. Mizzougrad96

Willie was the most popular person at the State of the Union. I wonder how many fans will come to the game when there is an Uncle Si Meet and Greet. :D

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

They're already sponsoring a NASCAR race -- the Duck Commander 500, coming up April 6 at Texas Motor Speedway.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm actually surprised they have enough $$$ to do this. I think the company made $50 million last year and that's independent of the TV show, but I would have thought naming rights for these kinds of events do not come cheap, but maybe that's changed...

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'm thinking the Independence bowl isn't exactly in the top tier of pricing among the 30 or 40 bowls out there.

Now, the NASCAR race I would think might get a bit pricey.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't know about NASCAR, but for the bowl game I bet they could cut a huge chunk off the purchase price of the naming rights by agreeing to make a personal appearance and thus raise the ticket sales.

10. Mizzougrad96

Probably a very good point. Maybe it will be mentioned/hyped on an upcoming episode of Duck Dynasty. They had a NASCAR driver on a few seasons back and they asked about how much it would cost to sponsor and were stunned at how much it was/

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As referenced above, the Indy Bowl was for years sponsored by Poulan Weedeater and for the last few years by AdvoCare, a sort of Amway for the fitness industry.

So offbeat title sponsorship is right in their wheelhouse, even without Duck Commander's headquarters being located 90 minutes from Shreveport.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted