1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the dream the team redeemed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Actually, FIBA is changing the international rules to come closer to the NBA. The Euro leagues, which follow FIBA rules, will be following suit.

By 2012:
    *-The trapezoidal lane (the most visible aspect of international ball) will become a 16' rectangle. (the net effect is that it will favor nations with a post-up game ... namely, the United States).
    *-The 3-point line will go from 20'6 to 22' (the mid-1990s NBA distance ... also will favor the U.S., because we're one of the few nations that don't play for the 3-pointer first).
    *-The shot clock will reset to 14 seconds, rather than 24, if a foul/reset violation is committed by the defense.

Already changed:
    *-20-minute halves were changed to 10-minute quarters
    *-30-second shot clock shortened to 24.
    *-Teams no longer have the option to decline free throws and instead take the ball out of bounds on a common foul when the opponent is in the penalty.

Still unique to international ball:
    *-No offensive goaltending.
    *-Players cannot call timeout.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It is as simple as putting Kobe, LeBron, and DWade out there and rolling out the balls. Did you know that last time the team had Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury in the backcourt with its best player riding the pine? Did you know that in the 2006 World Championships Kirk Hinrich and Josh Johnson played significant minutes and Kobe wasn't on the team?

If the US loses with the best players, so be it. But time to stop pretending it was some mystical thing when the absolute best players in the world played and won.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm glad the U.S. won, but I'm glad the Spaniards made them work for it, too. I suppose watching the Globetrotters whipping the Washington Generals is fun one time, but I don't want to see that over and over again like in 1992. It gets old after a while. You don't need a 130-50 blowout to be entertained.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's as silly as praising a well-made toilet that can flush.

5. I hate, like, most of you people.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just curious Zag, am I Eurotrash?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nah. You didn't become trash until you moved to your current state ;D

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This was more impressive than 1992.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

???

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Did you know that 2004 Marbury-Iverson team also included Tim Duncan, LeBron, Carmelo, Wade and Amare Stoudamire? Did all those guys ride the pine? Did you know that the 2006 team with Hinrich and Joe (not Josh) Johnson also included LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard? In other words, it had the nucleus of this Olympic team with the exception of Kobe. Yet neither of those teams won the gold. You cannot seriously believe this U.S. team won just on the strength of its talent. Everything we've seen the past several years proves that talent alone doesn't get it done.

When the NBA guys lose, it's because they don't know fundamentals or they can't shoot or defend the pick and roll. When they win, it's because they're more talented. Completely unfair.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's what happens when you assemble a team -- any team -- of mercenaries. Tough shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted