1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downside of winter...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I like winter. I've never been much for warmer temps, once it gets above 72 it's too warm for me.

But the dark, scary side of winter reared its ugly head last night.

Our power went out last night. The air temp? 16 below and falling.

Living out in the back woods, no power doesn't just mean no lights. It also means no water and all the accompanying inconveniences (the well pump won't work without power.) And with the temp as cold as it was, the house started cooling down pretty quick.

We were lucky, the outage, which according to the power company affected over 400 homes, only lasted for just over two-and-a-half hours. But the inside house temp had gone from 70 to 54 in that time span.

But I did discover that my laptop battery will play two hours worth of videos with no problem. :)

When Mr. Rosie returns from his work trip, he's going to be reminded we need a generator!

2. Rosie goes to the store.
    "Consarn menfolk!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We're not quite as cold as you, but I can't imagine it even happening here. Glad you made it through the night OK.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Usually when there's a storm, I'll light a couple candles just in case the power goes. Last night, there was no warning and it was DARK! There's four flashlights on top of the fridge in the kitchen, none with working batteries -- a last-night discovery. And my cup which usually is full of matches (for lighting candles) was empty. It was pretty humorous seeing both my teens using their cell phones for light -- they found my phone so I could have light too.

Fortunately, I had not brought the battery-powered utility light back to the garage and was able to find that. Ironically, I used it earlier yesterday to illuminate the basement fuse box so I could change a blown fuse. And I was able to find a book of matches. Dumb thing? I have four kerosene lamps and have no idea what happened to my lamp oil.

My two biggest concerns last night were making sure my kids stayed warm and figuring out how I would keep the pipes from freezing.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, Rosie. Glad to hear the power's back, at least.

I remember one awful night during the ice storm of '93 when all hell broke loose with the power. My entire family, all five of us, huddled up in sleeping bags and every blanket we had, in the living room that night. Had just enough dry wood to light a fire long enough to allow us to get to sleep, but it burnt out pretty quickly and it was freezing the rest of the night. Luckily, it came back around 11 a.m. the next day. But I still remember that night pretty vividly.

6. "The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitchee Gumee.
    Superior, they said, never gives up her dead...because Rosie kicks winter's ass!"

Damn.
    Doesn't track.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Maybe, but I love that song. :)

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Life was rough here on Walton's Mountain...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam.
    And the deer and the antelope play.
    Where seldom is heard, a discouraging word.
    And the skies are not cloudy all dy.

Home, home on da Range....

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Rosie, I like winter too, but this stuff is nuts.

Mr. Rosie needs to get with the program - generator this weekend.

If any pipes froze, don't do what Herb Brooks did :)

Speaking of winter, the Baudette Bay Classic is coming up! Hockey on Lake of the Woods :D

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Hull Rust says hello :)

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Doesn't "downside" and "winter" in the same sentence make it redundant?

Draft saved Draft deleted