1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downfall of CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Untrue: Nobody cares who breaks stories.

True: Readers care, but you also have to pay the person who breaks thoses stories a shitload of money. You also have to put up with them eccentricities (such as, Woj slams LeBron.)

So, as a result, some Interwebs corps decide to pay pennies on the dollar for aggregators who take the work of those folks and repackage them for another Web site.

It's a cost-efficiency play, and it works, to our collective chagrin.

OscarMadison and cranberry like this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Twitter is more about distribution than person-to-person. When an organization or a newsmaker has something to say, they will tweet it. Organizations and genuine newsmakers aren't bailing.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Understood.

But do you use Twitter as your distributor?

Or do you find out what a newsmaker tweeted via some other source?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We distribute content on Twitter several times a day typically. We also use it along with key originating sites to monitor news developments.

I very seldom post things to Twitter personally. Texts and e-mails work fine for me.

5. Do you use Tweetdeck? Lists are everything. I find out much of the day's news through browsing my "local sports," "MLB," "national news" and so-on feeds.

I have a few thousand followers on Twitter, and it works brilliantly (in my market) as a vehicle for clicks onto our website. I'll get as many as 500 to 1,000 link clicks on big news (I cover high school sports); and almost always a few dozen clicks on features and gamers and anything I post. The way I see it, those 25 people who clicked the link are reading my work ... without Twitter, they probably would not be reading it.

Plus, Twitter is a first-rate way to connect with readers, as we all know. A great way to plug the print product, or provide extra analysis with blog posts, or show a little personality.

6. Lugnuts

No I find Tweetdeck pretty useless for the way I consume.

I do loves me some Crowdfire though.

7. Huge fan of both. But how could you find Tweetdeck useless? For anyone in the information business, who does most of his/her work on a desktop computer, it's such a help.

8. Lugnuts

It's a good tool for journalists, but I'm not in the journalism business anymore-- not in the traditional sense.

I'm speaking as a consumer of news and information.

The customer.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

God I wish I had thought of this line.

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I believe that's what I said. :)

And, just for the record, which I probably would have said, too, but I thought of it after I'd posted: I actually might have made the same move if what I wanted was all I was considering. I would've been more drawn to the intrigue of working in Abu Dhabi than I would have been to the money, I think, but still, I might have made the same jump. But not for a minute would my family have gone along with it, and that would've stopped me.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But you're still OK with the Duggar family dynamics, right?

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And that has exactly what to do with this?...

Draft saved Draft deleted