1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downfall of CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Best answer I can give you is I try to approach it the same way as Olney/Rosenthal. Put together some well-researched writing that benefits the site. Others can decide if I am successful.

My guess is Boras prefers Twitter, because it creates instant buzz.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

5-6 inches?

That takes 10 minutes to type.

Who knows how long the email takes to get to the desk. We'll assume the notification comes in right away, but not always a slam-dunk.

The text has to be pasted into the (probably wonky) CMS, (presumably) edited, posted/uploaded to the site.

Then you have to email a link back to the reporter, hope that email doesn't get stuck in the tubez, and maybe the reporter posts the link in another couple minutes.

Ideal? For web traffic, sure.

Ideal? Not based on what the business has become. More importantly, not based on the edicts we get from our bosses. Someone else will have that information out 15 minutes before all that gets done.

Listen, if I had my druthers, the way you described it is the way it would work. But given what we're told by the higher-ups, it's often not practical.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's basically all you can do. The only big winner is Twitter, which pays nothing for tons of great content from people getting paid by other entities.

I wonder what would happen if some big companies (ESPN, Fox, etc.) that do a lot of strong, original reporting and have huge audiences were to negotiate deals with their reporters that would ensure news is broken on their sites rather than Twitter.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is the ideal for breaking news and using Twitter to drive traffic. Two problems with that, though:

1. Reporters with breaking news like that sometimes want to post the news on Twitter initially to prove they were first. They are afraid if they wait 20-30 minutes to type up a few inches, send it in, get it posted, receive the link and and tweet it that someone else will have it and tweet it.

2. Even if reporters do go the extra mile to file a story first and tweet the link, it's tricky to drive the traffic to your news story without spilling the beans on Twitter. You say too little and people ignore it; say too much and people don't need to click the link.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never knew so many folks here sat at Elling's kitchen table. As I understand it, he made very, very good money over there -- and tax-free. Presumably his family weighed all the options and decided it was the right way to go.

As for the professional motives, it's easy to judge if you've never been in the position of having a high-profile job ripped away from you. I'm not putting myself in Elling's league by any stretch but I had a high-profile (to me) gig that went poof with almost no warning and it left a pretty big ego bruise. So the things I did for the first few months after that were just as much about chasing the cachet as the money, and it's easy to look back now and say "that was silly" but I remember the feelings too. You'll do almost anything to get back in the game.

cranberry and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just don't get the sense that Twitter will be big in 2025.

It's too inefficient. Too much noise. People sign up for it, then bail.

How many times has this happened to you ?

Need more information on a person. You see that they're on Twitter. You think to yourself, "Oh good. I can go directly to Twitter to find out what this person has to say."

You go to the person's Twitter feed only to see that their last Tweet was March of 2013.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It's true. It's been that way for 5-10 years. Do you really give a shit who breaks a story? And who cares if ESPN reported it first and you had it 180 seconds later on Yahoo? The sports media industry is all shit now. I would never have signed up for this type of work 25 years ago had I known the changes that were ahead. What once was a great and respected profession has turned to shit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But that's just individuals -- and a lot of people use Twitter without tweeting. Also, so many corporations and leagues are gung-ho on it. I was watching the LPGA yesterday and the caddies' bibs had the player's name plus their twitter handle.

cranberry likes this.
  9. Lugnuts

When the LPGA latches onto it, that's when you know it's past peak.

Doc Holliday, playthrough and Ace like this.
  10. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

I guess "reporting" only entails breaking news?

I mean, there should still be tremendous value in those who can seek out and produce quality feature stories. Those can't be aggregated.

11. SellOut

SellOut Member

I'm still having trouble putting together that a site that does 90 percent of its job in either aggregating or throwing out Vines, video like a JV Deadspin (to be fair, I do check the morning links) is writing a story slamming another website for doing what TBL has done with some level of success. I respect that JM is trying to become a media reporter but for me, I'm not sure you can have it both ways like he's trying to have it. "Here's how aggregation is affecting the Industry" and yet a quick check of the site 5 mins ago I saw that was the ONLY piece of original reporting within a scroll's worthy of material.

12. Lugnuts

Oh he doesn't aggregate.

He curates.

Draft saved Draft deleted