1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downfall of CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't disagree, but it's not always so simple.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

More about Elling's decision to go overseas:

Plan B for out-of-work journalist: Go to Abu Dhabi and make lots of money

For everyone who remembers how I got to sj, it's obvious the story about cbssports.com is a little personal. I have watched what's happened over the last 3 1/2 years concerned for people who are friends and through the lens of what this would have meant to and for Craig. At least he didn't see what the site has become. I have assumed he would have been among those fired. What reason was there to keep him when they didn't have writers?

OscarMadison, Lugnuts, Alma and 8 others like this.
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I used to frequent CBS Sports several times a day, especially when Doyel and the like were around.

Now, I rarely visit. I'll go there if ESPN or some other sites are being wonky just to look at scores, but that's it. It's depressing what that site has become.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

After Scott Miller, Danny Knobler and Heyman left, I told the intern who does our office clips that I never want to see a CBS story included; that she should find the original source.

OscarMadison and Alma like this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Yahoo must get value out of Woj......but there's only one Woj, that's the exception rather than the rule and it seems CBS had no exceptions. Rather than try to find one they just said the hell with it?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am glad we are questioning a writer's career decisions here. He probably jumped to a job overseas away from his family without a thought.

Lugnuts, Brian, Alma and 6 others like this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Everyone should check in here when they're making difficult life decisions. We have plenty of folks who know exactly what other people should do as long as they've read a paragraph or two about them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    OscarMadison, Alma, BDC99 and 8 others like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think I speak for everyone on the board when I say seeing Craig mentioned in the story hit me like a ton of bricks.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Guy flew home twice, citing the high cost. It's cheaper to fly to Abu Dhabi from the U.S. than a flight to London.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Like, when a link gets posted here, it's often a link to Deadspin linking to an actual journalist reporting a story.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You literally need a license to drink an alcoholic beverage in the UAE. No thanks.
    Leaving my young family behind AND subjecting myself to Sharia law at the low point in my professional life? No fkin thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted