1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The downfall of CBS Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's an interesting story, but what the fuck do all those guys ripping CBS Sports for aggregation think The Big Lead actually does?

Songbird, Dick Whitman, Alma and 5 others like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think some of the Longform Inc. names lorded around here would have their minds blown if they were exposed regularly to their numbers of pageviews.

4. LongTimeListener

This is difficult to read for anyone still in the business (or who cares about it at all).

Swanson, the former managing editor at CBS Sports.com, says, emphatically, “no consumers give a shit who breaks stories. Everyone has them within minutes. We thought there was value, but there’s none. This isn’t opinion. This is empirical.”

But can anyone mount an argument against that statement?

FileNotFound and SnarkShark like this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The logical extension of Swanson's statement is the argument against it. If all news organizations believe it, then eventually no stories at all will get broken, and journalism will be nothing but press releases, happy talk by business, government, and all other institutions. There's ample evidence people will first stop believing the media and then stop consuming it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Sure, at the endpoint. As for now, there are thousands of sites for CBS, The Big Lead and others to crib from.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This story really pisses me off. How about the argument that if you don't have good reporters you have nothing to fucking aggregate? The fucking greed and selfishness is mind blowing.

OscarMadison and Batman like this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I chuckled about that.

BDC99 likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Definitely a good point.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I found it alarmingly sad that Elling would take a job overseas to continue his career as a golf writer, while leaving his wife and young kids behind for long stretches. I know it's hard to switch gears and think of yourself in a new career, but come on, man, only professional athletes can legitimately go overseas to market cap on their eroding skills. A golf writer doing that seems like the height of delusion. Go into communications, PR, whatever, but don't do that. That seems crazy to me, but obviously he had his reasons.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His reasons are probably a mortgage and young kids.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sure, the only job he could get that would pay his mortgage was overseas...maybe the only job that would allow him to basically continue doing the same job, with the same sense of self. There are plenty of jobs stateside that could capitalize on his skills. It's a tough pill to swallow, but chasing a disappearing career overseas is just that.

Draft saved Draft deleted