1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Donald" Approached To Buy Buffalo Bills

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. And the novelty effect would wear off. But the logistics of repeated trans-Atlantic travel would be the biggest thing. That's what's stopped the NHL from putting franchises in Europe.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

On my phone, so couldn't quote the post, but Sea Bass is correct: There's a $400 million relocation penalty in the current lease from now through 2019. (There's a $28 million buyout option in 2020, then it goes back up for the final two years of the deal.)

So, for anyone who wants to buy the Bills with plans to move them, the math looks something like this: probably a minimum $800-900 million for the team, $400 million to leave before 2020 (IF they can get a judge to agree to let them break their lease), plus the cost of a new stadium.

And they'll be bidding against at least one local group which won't have to worry about that $400 million add-on.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So where will they be playing in 2021? :D

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I also think Trump isn't keen on investing his own bread. He likes being the "name" guy in exchange for getting a piece of the action. NFL ownership groups don't need him to seal a deal.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Batavia.

(Add: That was the smartaleck second reply I typed to your smiley, after deleting the one which would've earned me a vacation from here.)

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not Oneonta?

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'd get seasons if it were Angola or Gennessee.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Oneonta would be a heck of a commute from Toronto.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stonedeonta

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope they stay. I hate when any franchise moves. Kudos to cities like Buffalo and Jacksonville for giving teams leases that may be the only reason they're kept in town.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ralph's wife, Mary Wilson is now the controlling owner of the Bills. If the Bills do leave, whenever it is, I'll just be a Cleveland fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted