1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Donaghy scandal grows.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'd buy that. It's just that the hatred that's directed at the NBA is sort of amusing, considering the other leagues have just as many foibles, unlikable characters and fundamental flaws. Although obviously none have had a Donaghy-level scandal. Speaking of Kings-Lakers...

http://www.82games.com/lakerskingsgame6.htm

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If the NBA is fixed, why aren't the Knicks in contention for the title every year?
    Or are they really so bad that not even corrupt officials can help them?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's different levels to "fixing things"

Will they make sure the Knicks win a title? No. Will they fix the lottery so they can get Patrick Ewing? Maybe...

Will they dictate the outcome of a series? No, or not directly. Will they do everything they can to make sure a highly-rated series goes seven games? Maybe...

There's a big difference there.

David Stern is very much an evil genius. He's also not stupid.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Who cares if it's fixed? There has to be a winner."

- the late Huggy Sr., degenerate sports gambler extraordinaire.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So you're saying if the Knicks suddenly won the title every year, it might be a little too obvious?

6. Mizzougrad96

Perhaps just a bit... :D

Stern also loves to punish teams that piss him off. Just guessing here, but the Knicks have probably done that once or twice or 100 times during the Isiah Thomas Error, I mean Era.

I don't think he cares who wins, he just wants the Lakers, Celtics or Bulls in the finals in most years.

7. JackS

JackS Member

What I don't understand is why people feel the need to compare scandals on a relative basis.

I really don't care whether fixing games or juicing on steroids is worse. They're both terrible, and saying one is worse sort of dismisses the other.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't think one being worse than the other lessens something like taking steroids or stealing signals...

But we're talking about referrees, the people who are supposed to make the game fair, conspiring to fix games to benefit the league.

In my opinion, there's nothing worse.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And I'm still not seeing, based upon what we know now:

1) how the NBA could have done more than it did;

2) how the NBA, as opposed to Donaghy is fixed; or

3) why David Stern is the most corrupt commissioner in sports

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't like to see this, but a part of me is actually enjoying it because of Stern's incessant holier-than-thou attitude.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Honestly, it's up to you guys on the front line of the sportsworld to give this issue traction.

I've wondered aloud for quite sometime why this hasn't been given the hoopla it deserves since its the biggest issue in all of sports in the last 20 years IMO.

We saw more traction around dress codes and other crap than issues swirling around what looks like the integrity of the game itself coming into question.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ESPN did a pretty good job whacking the NBA in its referees' knees on OTL on Sunday (no thread? seriously?), except it was on too damn early for most of America. Hopefully, the OTL stuff will be regurgitated on SportsCenter at some point.

NBA officiating has to be seen as big a joke as WWE officiating at this point, at least from the general public's perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted