1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Donaghy scandal grows.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That stuff makes people wonder, but it's not really hard evidence that can be used to corroborate Donaghy's allegations.

Stern has enormous plausible deniability to work with here. All he has to say is Donaghy's lying and, well yeah, Donaghy is the kind of guy who'd lie, good chance he is....

Spygate and Steroid-gate were huge because the hard evidence eradicated credible deniability. Even if Bonds continued to deny, nobody believed him in the face of enormous body of evidence documented in Game of Shadows and elsewhere.

But there's nothing like that to refute Stern's denials. As long as this is just Donaghy's word vs. Stern's and the rest of the league's, it's not going anywhere. This Foster info is interesting though, it might lead to some details that are a lot tougher for Stern to dismiss with his trademark smirk.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure USA Basketball is thrilled about this too with the Olympics just around the corner.

It doesn't have as direct a connection as the Janet Gretzky-Rick Tocchet thing did to Hockey Canada but it'll be a main point of questioning when the U.S. basketball team gets back together.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Does BYH know Junkie's back?

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Maybe I'm obtuse, predict, but I don't get the logic ... wouldn't a gambler care MORE about the possibility of games being fixed than the average fan? The gambler would be the person losing the money, right?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many times in the last 10 years has a player or coach accused the league of fixing games to extend a series? Quite a few and definitely more than the rest of the leagues combined.

People have believed the NBA lottery has been fixed since Ewing would up with the Knicks. Too many big coincidences have happened.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This entire country was built on gambling. Go back to the days of the colonies; they built their treasuries on state lotteries.

Gambling barely has a stigma associated with it these days. If Pete Rose were found gambling on games today he'd get a slap on the wrist.

Besides, people have already assumed the NBA is fixed all along. There's also no outrage because it would bring down the entire league and all the jobs associated with it.

7. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Or winning the money. I don't disagree with you, bp, but the books in Nevada (and presumably the illegal bookies) are only trying to get equal action on a game when they set a number, so that the books win some money regardless of the outcome, and so do a significant number of their clients.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. Baseball has only 8 playoff teams.
    2. Football has no series to extend.
    3. Hockey doesn't call penalties in the playoffs.

That pretty much gives the NBA the debate by default.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Mizzou, for someone who hates the league so much and cares so little about it, you sure post a lot about it. I hate soccer, but I don't have 15 posts on the soccer thread saying the same thing.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Some would say this is larger than the peg-legged whore of a league that is the NBA.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Gambling is only a stigma now if someone high up thinks so. Pete Rose ran into a buzzsaw with Giamatti, who was determined to protect the integrity of the game. If this came up on Selig's watch, would his reaction be much different than how he reacted to steroids? Doubt it. He remains "tough" on Rose because someone else did the dirty work first.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I do hate the NBA, but I covered the Lakers-Kings series in 2002 and I thought it was fixed then, so yeah, I do care about the outcome of this.

You have to care about something on some level to be able to hate it. I don't have soccer, I'm completely indifferent to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted