1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Donaghy scandal grows.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fair points... The only logical reason I can think of is that this happened six years ago. Nobody cares about the NBA right now, but that Lakers-Kings series might have been the highest-rated NBA (non Finals) series ever.

But taking steroids and videotaping practices or stealing signals is about 100 levels below what Donaghy is accusing Stern of.

2. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, no shit...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does nobody care?

Cause everyone gambles.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think the reason this hasn't yet gotten the traction you expected is because there was no credible corroborating evidence. We just had the word of a felon and proven scumbag.

That's the difference. With spygate, the Pats were busted red-handed. They couldn't deny it, the evidence was incontrovertable. And steroid-gate wasn't huge in the early stages when it was still rumors and whispers, it only became huge after the evidence began piling up and it became undeniable.

Yes, this should be bigger than either of those scandals IF it's proven with some solid corroborating evidence, but not until then. Donaghy alone won't do it. This evidence of a second ref being involved might help, though. Interesting to see where this leads.

5. Mizzougrad96

Good point on being caught red-handed. I hope something happens, something comes out to expose the NBA for the fraud that it is.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do you have to be a complete ostrich not to connect the phone calls to the bookie and then the other ref, and back?

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I wonder if the average sports fan really cares all that much about the NBA as a "sport." I think if this happened in the NFL, fans would be blowing up stadiums, they would be so pissed. Fantasy Leagues would unite to plot the serial murder of every referee involved. In the NBA? I think it's sort of a "I'll watch the NBA finals; I like watching LeBron, Kobe, whoever play, but I don't really give a shit about the game as a sport. More of a spectacle." Yeah, and so many incidents involving money are "isolated." It's almost always more than one person taking part. Stern was being moronically optimistic.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just bloviating, while skating backwards slowly in the face of a 3-on-1 breakaway.

9. Mizzougrad96

It's the third most popular team sport in the country. I'm guessing most would care if it's fixed.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Just bloviating, while skating backwards slowly in the face of a 3-on-1 breakaway.
    [/quote]

Not trying to sound pompous.Maybe I'm completely wrong, but there has to be a reason for a lack of interest in this story, and I think it somehow has to boil down to a lack of interest in the sport. Or people would care. I know the ratings increased this year for the NBA, but I believe it is considered the 5th most popular sport in the US now, behind NASCAR and college football. Or maybe everybody already knew it was fixed and this just confirms it.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I, too, am surprised this hasn't been bigger. I guess it still could, or maybe it will when the season gets closer to starting.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How so?

Draft saved Draft deleted