1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Donaghy scandal grows.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Jul 14, 2008.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Looks like Donaghy and fellow ref Scott Foster had a lot to talk about. This is Stern's biggest nightmare.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,381842,00.html

Calls between Foster, 41, and Donaghy, also 41, took place immediately before and after 54 of the 57 games Donaghy officiated from the beginning of the 2006-2007 season until mid-March, when his role in the gambling operation apparently ended. Records also show a vast majority of the calls came in the hours before or after games officiated by Donaghy or Foster.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Much to my dismay, nobody seems to care about this...

This has been so swept under the rug it disgusts me.

Videotaping a Super Bowl practice? Huge news for six months. Allegations of fixing the NBA playoffs? Newsworthy for about a week and then seemingly gone from the headlines.

This should be the biggest sports scandal of the last 50 years.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's weird. Is it that people have so much to worry about, nobody gives a shit about the NBA?

4. Mizzougrad96

I think it's because ESPN largely ignored it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I have no idea why ESPN would do that...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you but I also think it shows how far that the NBA has dropped as far as overall sports fan interest.

Where do you rank the MLB steroid scandal?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think a big part of it is that few people even knew who Tim Donaghy was before the scandal broke. Three-time Super Bowl champions who might have cheated before the biggest sporting event of the year and one of the biggest upsets in SB history? That strikes a much bigger chord with the general public.

Plus, the NBA sucks.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

But come on, guys! Brett Favre IS EATING PANCAKES AS WE SPEAK!

9. Mizzougrad96

How many people knew who Matt Walsh was before the the Pats videotaping scandal broke?

Yes, the NBA sucks, but this would be a big reason why.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stern has to be breathing a huge sigh of relief that this hasn't gotten the traction it should.

However, if it turns out a second ref is involved I think this will get plenty of coverage. Even if ESPN does the NBA's bidding and tries to downplay it.

11. Mizzougrad96

If this is true, in my opinion, it's bigger than the steroid scandal because there was no drug testing in MLB until very, very recently.

We're talking about game officials fixing the outcome of games, and possibly being encouraged to do so by the commissioner.

12. Mizzougrad96

I hope you're right. I fear you are not.

Draft saved Draft deleted