1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The dog got sprayed by a skunk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 14, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

OK, smart people of SportsJournalists.com, any suggestions on what to do to get rid of the stench?
  2. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Tomato juice.

Lots and lots of tomato juice.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My dog has been sprayed twice, once pretty severely, and tomato juice didn't work. Only thing I thought was pretty effective was a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, soap and water. You have to really work it into the dog's coat. Rinse, fluff dry, repeat. Several times.
  4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Tomato paste is more effective than juice.
    Baking soda is the key like cranberry said. Dilute the baking soda in a bucket (making sure to keep the water pretty milky) and work it in with the paste.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Could you take the dog to a groomer and have it stripped?
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We tried the tomato juice thing with ours. It masks it a little bit, but our dog had a lot of fur and the skunk smell just wasn't getting out. We ended up taking him to a groomer and they did what they could. There were times when I could still smell it on him months later.

I feel your pain.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never had this happen to one of my dogs, but it would be a pain the ass.
    I'd take it to the groomer, have it stripped and have them go from there.
    If it's already getting cold where you live and the dog spends substantial time outside, stripping it might not be an option, though.
  8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Happens all the time around here. I just use tomato juice several times of rinsing and repeating. Then top it off with some cheap, flowery smelling shampoo. I've never had a long haired dog, though, but with Boxers it works.

As a side note, if he's sprayed in the mouth, the dog doesn't like being force fed Listerine breath strips!
  9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i bet a cat was behind it
  10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The baking soda/peroxide/soap formula is the only thing that really works:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap (you can add some warm water for big dogs or just increase all the quantities above.

Keep it out if the dog's eyes, leave it in for a half hour, rinse in warm water. Repeat if the dog still stinks, which it will. When the skunk odor gets into the nose or mouth, there's nothing you can do.

Be sure to take off the dog's collar, which probably stinks too. First time it happened to my dog, I left the collar on and couldn't figure out why she still smelled days later.

Good luck, it's a total drag.
Draft saved Draft deleted