1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Divorce (and SJ Therapy) Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, May 22, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Residual ass is in the Divorce Bill of Rights. Look it up.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not sure if I should ask this, but I have heard a fair amount about the Catholic pre-marriage counseling classes. So, my question is: did that work well for you, or is it all bullshit?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Vombatus

What about residual blowjobs?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For the sake of my kids, I hope she lives a happy, prosperous life. Otherwise she could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear.

6. Vombatus

My ex is on her fourth husband. I was #1. Stopped looking in the rearview mirror long ago, but I do wish her the best. Bipolar really sucks - wish I had understood it better 20 years ago.

7. I got a lot of it. We did an Engaged Encounter weekend, And I highly recommend them to anyone - Catholic or heathen - considering marriage.
    It addressed a lot of things a lot couples don't consider or think about. One session, a older couple discussed the loss of the only son and how they dealt with it as a couple - the death of a child can lead to divorce PDQ. The discussion of that was very moving. Powerful. Insightful. Hard.
    Part of the pre-counseling is encouraging discussion between spouses, evening learning how to fight fair.
    I don't know if it helps, but it can't hurt.
    Some people are going to go into a disaster of marriage regardless. My sister - who's on hubby No. 3 - never did more than meet with the priest for an hour. One of my fraternity brothers married his longtime college girlfriend in spite of numerous instances of her cheating on him. Neither was catholic, and I have no idea if they did any counseling (I suspect they did not). He got divorced five years and $50,000 in debt later. He was young, stupid and immature (and kind of a dick), but I guess he felt it was time get married.

He remarried a few years later. I'm not a big fan of his second wife, but they seem happy and has two high school-age girls. And he's still kind of dick. ;)

Vombatus likes this.
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Would not.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Getting divorced was still the best thing that's happened to me in the last decade. I'm eternally thankful that she finally had the balls to say "just because we were good friends and wanted to bang a lot in college doesn't mean we should be stuck as life partners forever."

And we still get along pretty well.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Laura Pritchett, who lives in Colorado, is the author of four novels, most recently “Red Lightning.”

Guessing they're not harlequin novels.

I get along pretty well with the ex. Had breakfast with her and my daughter yesterday for my daughter's birthday. We had entered the roommate zone and the passion was definitely gone. I'm not remotely physical attracted to her anymore, which is odd. I have a longtime girlfriend and they've never met, and I've never met her boyfriend, who is a guy she worked with and who came into the picture near the end. Once upon a time I wanted to throw him off a building, now I just laugh to myself at even caring. Strange the shit you can eventually get over. But still I think it'd be strange to have the ex meet my girlfriend. The girlfriend, meanwhile, has never expressed any interest in meeting the ex.

11. Vombatus

Uh, that sounds like a good way for your girlfriend to become your ex-girlfriend. Don't go there, man!

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's my thinking. But I do know divorced folks who do know and get along with the the boyfriends/girlfriends of their exes. Right now it occasionally causes strained or awkward conversations with the gf, as when I tell her I'm going to wake up early on a Saturday to go watch my daughter's soccer match and, yes, my ex will be there. She doesn't love it that I'm basically leaving her behind at my place, but I'm not going to skip seeing my daughter playing soccer even on the days I don't have her and my gf says she understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted