1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Diary of Myles Thomas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure to put this in Journalism, Sports and News, whatever. Anyhoo ...

ESPN.com has been doing this project, which one of the obscure members of the 1927 Yankees writes a diary of his season. The diary wasn't really written, of course, but the stories that are told through Thomas is somewhat, as they call it, historical fiction. "Thomas" writes about the various stars of baseball, like Ruth and Gehrig, but also about his obscure teammates and his opponents. "Thomas" also writes about non-baseball stuff, such as meeting famous jazz musicians, Al Capone, and hangs out with Barbara Stanwyck a bunch.

1927: The Diary of Myles Thomas

Some of the entries are short; others are quite long. The two entries that I've thought were the best were the ones where "Thomas" meets Rube Foster, and where he finds out the life story of Sam Rice.

Figured I'd share it here, for those who like to read about baseball history, and other Roaring Twenties stuff.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If they looked hard enough couldn't they find an actual diary from a player?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So the WWL was favoring the Yankees 55 years before it's first broadcast?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm figuring they probably could, but I figure they did this in order to reflect the entirety of the era, not just about baseball. A diary that reads, "Well, today I went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts against the St. Louis Browns," may not be very interesting.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fuck Ty Cobb!

Draft saved Draft deleted