1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Devil Wears Prada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That just brought something to mind:
    Did you know that Charlie Kaufman wrote an earlier screenplay for 'A Scanner Darkly' that was turned down. They went with Linklater's instead.
    Just interesting.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

New Yorker gave it the strongest positive review I've read on the movie. Denby loved it.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would never be so rude as to put the bunny with the pancakes on Luggy's thread ... but I have no idea what is being discussed, beyond the fact that it's a movie based on a book and that Streep and Hathaway are in it.

Means I probably won't waste my 10 bucks.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, this is important because at some point I suspect my daughter will end up making similar references, and it would make me look so cool if I'm able to comprehend what she's saying: Any chance someone can explain these jokes to me? I saw the movie, and the Gabbana thing I thought was just an arrogance thing; they hung up on her because merely asking that question made it plain that she was the great fashion unwashed and thus not worthy of the caller's time. Was there some other aspect of it I missed? The Donatella comment, I had no clue.

Sincerely,

A person who wore river sandals and a UGA t-shirt to the theatre when he saw this movie ...

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He wished there were ABA programming waiting for him at home.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

hm, a good date movie, eh?

Myself and a certain lady are discussing going to see a flick. How many man points would one lose if he suggested this movie?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

none. two words: anne hathaway. 8) 8) 8)

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

NW - Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana... The supposed next in line to Armani.  (Surely you've heard of Armani?? :D )

Dolce and Gabbana are Italian designers who were lovers and made some of the most beautiful clothes you've EVER seen.  It has been my favorite label.  They can be a little more understated and subtle, which I love.  I have a pair of black Dolce and Gabbana pants, which I bought on sale and still had to take out a second mortgage for-- which I have worn probably hundreds of times-- and they still hold up beautifully.  The quality and design is that good.

Anyway, they got wildly popular... but broke up as lovers last year.  Everybody hopes it won't have an effect on the business.  D & G is their less expensive line, which is still really, really pricey.

Donatella Versace is the sister of another brilliant designer, Gianni Versace, who was gunned down by a madman on a killing spree in Miami.  Donatella is friends with all the stars-- she's always loaning Demi Moore her jet, etc.  But she's notoriously mercurial and weird.

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Anna Wintour seems like a despicable, despicable person to me. I always thought it would be great to see her get doused in paint by some PETA or anti-fur members ...

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

None. It's decent. And you'll make up the points with your girl later. ;)

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As opposed to eccentric?

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

No, I think eccentric has an almost positive connotation, at least for me. Kind of adorably quirky.

Both mercurial and weird have more negative connotations, and I think it's more negative with her.

Draft saved Draft deleted