1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Devil Wears Prada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That would mean 21 is a size 2.

If that's the case -- and please don't take offense by this, 21 -- you need a cheeseburger or six to not look like you just got out of a concentration camp or the Mary Kate Olson/Nicole Ritchie School of Caloric Consumption

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Phoebe Flowers hits heavily on 21's concerns:

http://www.southflorida.com/movies/sfl-shpradajun30,0,5795904.story?coll=sfe-movies-headlines

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Loved the movie. Streep another Oscar nomination, she is very funny

Anne Hathaway is the total package.

Havoc was recently on SHowtime OnDemand. Just FF'd to the good parts. They're Real and they're SPECTACULAR.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh. Dog was right. I posted this on the summer movie thread, but I was really dissapointed in the movie. Not because it was bad, but because it deviated so much from the book.

It was the equivalent of "Friday Night Lights" if they would've changed the ending so that the Panthers won the state title.

They changed little stupid things, like the boyfriend's name. What purpose did that serve? I thought the book was kind of boring (I had no problems putting it down), but I didn't have 21's reaction. Still liked it.

Dr. J thought it was good, but he had to listen to me fume.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I enjoyed the book, though I think the author suffered from the same affliction Toby Young did in "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People."
    To wit: both seemed to cast themselves as somehow morally superior to the "Conde Nasties" or "Clackers," as though their delightful bucking of the system made them better people.

I thought they both came across as whiners. Moreover, I think Andrea Sachs' friends were jerks. We all have jobs that keep us away from our social lives more than we'd like. Deal. That's the job she took. She had to live with it.

That said, I thought the movie did a poor service to the better parts of the book.

Emily Blunt, however, redeemed the film for me.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Havoc is actually a surprisingly good movie...

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Ms Nutz,

Took the l'il F o' F to TDWP. (Mrs F o' F was outta town.) She loved it. I liked it. Streep Oscar-bait. Tucci's been better. I'd be interested to find out if Ms Cadet went to school with Ms Hathaway.

My complaint: Two old flaming queens sat behind us and gabbed the whole movie long.

YHS, etc

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And you didn't turn around and ask them--politely, of course-- to save their conversation until the END of the movie?
    Seems unlike you.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's the top of our movie list (the #1 position shifts regularly).

I worked for a short period of time on  the launch of a Toronto gardening magazine and we shared space and production people with the folks at Toronto Life Fashion.

I haven't read the book but if the characters in the movie are 1/20 as shallow as the ones I met at fashion, it'll be a hoot.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's the best non-animated film of the summer... Not that that is saying much, but I laughed my ass off throughout the film... I agree that Streep should be an Oscar lock...

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Among the things I never thought I'd hear anyone say, this was No. 11 on the list.

12. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I saw it the other day when Superman was sold out and I really though it was solid. Streep was great. Stanley Tucci is good in everything. But I was pleasantly surprised by Anne Hathaway. She was a supporting player in Brokeback Mountain, but she was great in this movie. Plus, she's drop dead gorgeous.

Draft saved Draft deleted