1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Devil Wears Prada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see if any men saw it and liked it.

I dragged Mr. Lugz, who was forced to sit in a sold out theater wedged between me and two guys on a date. Despite coming home and immediately watching 2 hours of 1970s ABA basketball to "decompress," he copped to finding it mildly entertaining. He didn't get all the jokes, though.

Give Streep an Oscar nomination, is my opinion. I really enjoyed it.

Also curious about what our SportsJournalists.com women thought of the clothes. I can't agree with all the choices, but I think Patricia Field outdid her Sex and the City work. You could argue there was too much black, but it's New York, so it's true-to-life.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I found it very entertaining. And, being decidely non-fashion conscious, I really didn't see many inside jokes.

Streep was excellent; Hathaway was beautiful; Greiner is rising.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Haven't seen it, but Mrs. D-Backs is sure to rent it when it comes out. I'll probably watch, just to see if the critic claims that Streep "has never been better" are true.

I know critic praises are somewhat hyperbolic, but considering Ms. Streep's body of work, you'd better be damn sure before you make a never-been-better claim.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I hated the book so much I threw it in the trash when I finished.

No rush to see the movie.

5. Lugnuts

I never had an interest in reading the book, for some reason.

'dog' of this website had seen an advance screening, and I asked him if I should read the book before I saw it, and he said no. I'm glad I didn't.

You should see it, 21, if for no other reason than the shoes.

-------------------

As for Streep, 'never better' isn't really apt. It more like: You walk out of the theater shaking your head saying, "She did it again."

-------------------

************** JOKE SPOILERS BELOW *****************

Shotty, among the jokes Mr. Lugz didn't get:

"And can you spell Gabbana please?"

and

"A bigger problem is where to put Donatella. She speaks to almost no one now."

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Exactly what are you into?

;D

7. carrie

carrie Active Member

I'm probably going to go see this tonight, so I'll report back later.

As far as the book goes, I thought it could have been written a lot better. However, I picked it up initially because Lauren Weisberger did a stint as an assistant for Anna Wintour at Vogue, and the rumors were that the book hit a little too close to home as to the details of how much of a vicious hag Wintour is.

As far as writing goes, though, I prefered "Bergdorf Blondes" to "Devil Wears Prada". "Blondes" was written by another (more famous) Wintour/Vogue minion - Plum Sykes.

But I digress ... good to see the movie was entertaining. I heard they mixed it up quite a bit from the book, so I'm interested in that.

8. Lugnuts

Ooo - I'll have to pick up 'Bergdorf.' Thanks, Carrie....

I read Wintour actually sort of liked the movie even though she hated the book.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Thoroughly enjoyable...

A great date movie...

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

21 is Dorothy Parker. :)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought she was Anna Wintour... ;D

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I said it was decent when lugs asked about it originally and I'll stick to that.

Not great, kinda drags in parts and the subject matter is likely to be uninteresting to large portion of people. That said, it has its very good moments and it's just funny enough, especially if you get the jokes, to make it worthwhile.

I'd say somewhere around 40 percent of the people on this board will enjoy it. And those should know who they are beforehand.

Draft saved Draft deleted