1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Detroit Lions: Driving in circles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a franchise that signed All-Pro Pat Swilling, a Complete No-Brainer, and looked to really turn the corner -- and even gave him Chuck Schmidt's number. Then Swilling's dad died and he proceeded to have the worst years of an otherwise great career.

Nobody the Lions ever sign, as constituted, will make a difference. Like the auto industry, the DNA here is very bad, it's been that way for three decades. Wonder who that points to.

Monelia in the cancer patient -- it's way past that point.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Non playoff bound Lions- Boss Bailey, Shaun Rogers, Kevin Jones, T.J. Duckett, Kennoy Kennedy, and Kalimba Edwards = 0-16 in 2008.

3. rube

rube Active Member

Agreed.
    It's like a black hole. Mike Utley was an up and coming prospect in '91 (when a youthful Lions team was 12-4) and he broke his neck. Eric Andolsek was another part of a youthful offensive line group at that time -- a year after Utley, he got hit by a semi-truck while weed-whacking his ditch and was killed. Reggie Brown, a GREAT up and coming OLB who reminded everyone of Derrick Brooks -- almost died on the field in '97 right as he was coming into his own.
    Those are obviously extreme examples, but I mean all three of these guys were big parts of young up and coming teams who WOULD have turned the corner. And all three, tragically had their careers ended in freak accidents.
    The Detroit Lions -- are one big freak accident.

And yes, I'm a Lions FanBoy looser.

4. rube

rube Active Member

He wouldn't do jack shit. Anyone can run behind Wisconsin's perpetual dominant run blocking line. As proof by the fact that no Badger back has ever done a goddamn thing.

See Ron Dayne, Michael Bennet, Anthony Davis and Mr. Calhoun.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lets just turn this into a mult-purpose Lions black hole thread.

Bennie Blades... not really relative but his brother shot and killed his cousin and was convicted of manslaughter.

That's just not good in general.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Three interceptions? Nah, I'm good for four ... and one killer piano solo!

7. The Commish

The Commish Guest

Like the auto industry? The Fords have brought that same automaking acumen to the NFL. If the Lions aren't evidence enough, then one Super Bowl in Detroit and one in Pontiac should be.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not trying to prompt any more hatred here, but is Drew Stanton supposed to be anything but a roster filler up there? Is he going to get a shot?

9. rube

rube Active Member

We're led to believe. He was supposed to get one last year but he tore an ACL or something before the preseason and they put him on IR.
    He'll get a shot, and probably get rushed in too quick and fail.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Same problem Arizona has: Idiot. Owner.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pshhh. Jeff Garcia I don't need you. I've got Michelle Branch.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm pretty sure Ford Motor Company is pretty successful. Recently, not so much, but what auto company, other than Honda has?

I thi

Draft saved Draft deleted