1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The deterioration of Detroit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jun 13, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting photo series about parts of Detroit returning to urban prairie.

http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/a-stark--unsentimental-look-at-detroit-s-rapid-slide-202246171.html#

2. joe

joe Active Member

Reminds me of the History Channel (?) series about Earth without humans. Nature takes over pretty quickly when people are gone.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There have been earnest suggestions to turn these parts into sprawling urban gardens.
    Growing mustard, salad greens and other produce- and eventually biodiesel.
    Detroit's transformation from industry to agriculture would be one of the most remarkable in our history.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Amazing and sad. I remember the last time I was up in Detroit a couple of years ago for a game at Ford Field how I saw so many deteriorating buildings downtown. I wonder what some of those older ones look like now.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I knew what was coming, but that was still utterly shocking.

Thanks for posting.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Watch the doc Detropia. Great stuff.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I blame Donald Sterling

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wooptee dam doo

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I drove around the city for three days last summer. It was definitely bizarro world. Apart of the abandoned properties, it just felt empty. I mean I was on four-lane roads with no other cars or trucks within sight (this is kind of awesome to be honest). Driving there is more than a bit of risk though as many of the traffic signals and signs just aren't there or don't work anymore. Driving at night was scary as hell too because most of the street lights weren't working. It I didn't have GPS, I would have crashed or gotten lost.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Flint is even worse. Two cities hit really hard and plagued for years by incompetent leadership

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In a lot of respects, I think Detroit is one of the most fascinating cities in the country because of its deterioration.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wow, was that sad to see. Looked like some scenes from The Walking Dead.

Thanks for posting.

Draft saved Draft deleted