1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Departed (the let's-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Haha good stuff.

I definitely think it was Leo's. I think the implication was that Damon may have been impotent. Obviously he couldn't get it up one time, and then the way he reacted when Baldwin was talking to him about his sex life at the driving range he seems to oversell it, "Oh yeah, working overtime" or something like that, seemed like he was overcompensating. That was a great bit of dialogue from Baldwin: "Marriage is an important part of getting ahead. It lets people know you're not a homo. A married guy seems more stable. People see the ring, they think, "At least somebody can stand the son of a bitch." Ladies see the ring, they know immediately that you must have some cash, and your cock must work."

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hi, D_B here. Just now saw this one tonight, and I was impressed. Not blown away, but impressed.

Agreed with some of the observations here ... music is fantastic, loved the Dropkick Murphys song in there ... Leo was very, very good ... the Leo-shrink sex scene was unnecessary ... and the rat? Ugh. We get it, Marty. The whole movie is about rats at different levels. Blah, blah. That was unnecessary.

3. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Just saw it twice on all-day ticket. Pretty good, but....
    The rat scene at the end was dumb.

The envelope, not the manilla one he gives to the shrink, the one he sends to matt damon, has Costigan's return address on it just so it advances the movie. Stupid. They could have done the same thing by having her open the one she got. She's obviously not above bending her profession's rules.

Secondly, are Massachusetts police so inept they don't know who runs around with obviously high-ranking mobsters? Christ, Costello comes to Sullivan's academy graduation and he gets in his car in front of all the other graduates. No one would have said, "Hey why is the golden boy running around with a crazy-ass mobster?"

Ther are a couple of brilliant moments in the movie, but it's not close to Scorsese's work in Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver or even Mean Streets. There are probably five movies he should have won an Oscar for, this is not one of them.

IMHO

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: The Departed (the let\'s-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

What impressed me: Halfway through the movie I realized I was no longer aware I was watching Jack Nicholson and was instead watching his character. Given how long he has been an icon and could have mailed in the performance, that is no small feat.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I watched The Departed again this weekend. I liked it better than when I saw it in the theater, but still didn't really like it. This time around, I bought Leo and his character and bought Damon a little bit more. I still thought Jack and his character were caricatures. And I still think that Vera Farmiga looks like she's been hit in the face with a frying pan (and couldn't the wardrobe department spring for another suit for her? She's wearing the same gray suit with vest in two scenes.). The music was great (also thought that the first time I saw it.)

For me, Marty is 0-for-2 on movies about Irish-Americans (I also hated Gangs of New York).

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: The Departed (the let\'s-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

I think she has one of the most interesting, unusually sexy faces I have ever seen.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Same here. And her eyes are incredible (assuming she wasn't wearing colored lenses).

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I saw it yesterday on PPV and I gotta admit, I am not sure I understood it. I can't point to anything specific and I understand that I have never been the brightest bulb in the lamp, but after it finished, both my wife and I wondered if there was something happening on some level we just weren't getting.

Great acting and great directing, so it would be safe to assume that the problem was us.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You have to understand the concept of "Non serviam" to fully understand the movie and it's deep underlying meaning. It's really a much deeper movie than it appears at first watch.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I loved the recreation of old New York, but any movie with Daniel Day-Lewis in it automatically loses points.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Exact opposite for me. I didn't think it was a great performance, and I thought he was a caricature.

Draft saved Draft deleted