1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Departed (the let's-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had tried to see it twice opening weekend and it was sold out both times... Finally made it today...

It's the kind of movie that reminds you why you used to love to go to the movies...

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I tried to go yesterday, skipped out of work to take in the matinee since the stupid paper had printed a 3:55 start time. It was actually 5:35, but I will make another attempt at some point this week or next.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Is it better than Goodfellas, you think?

4. Mizzougrad96

I'd put it behind Goodfellas, but that far behind...

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Goodfellas is the gold standard.

6. Mizzougrad96

I will say this about The Departed, that may be the fastest 2 1/2 hour movie I've seen in a long time...

It may be the best film since Pulp Fiction, but I may be forgetting something...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think 'The Departed' is better than 'Goodfellas.'
    It's way up on my list of relatively recent great movies with: 'House of Sand and Fog,' 'The Constant Gardener' and 'Being John Malkovich.'

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The 2 1/2-hour thing ... that struck me too, mizzou. I never even noticed the passing of time during the movie.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Saw this movie recently as well. When I got my popcorn the guy asked me what movie we (wife and I) were seeing and I told him. He said it was good but long. Of course, any movie which doesn't have lulls and can keep you engrossed will not be long. Case in point (with me at least) is JFK, which had me entranced throughout that 3 1/2 hours.

Anyway, echoing the comments previous, Nicholson is great, DiCaprio is great. Damon is good, but to me he seems to not have the range of the other actors mentioned. Whether he's a good guy or bad guy, always seems the same. Still does a nice job.

Any movie that can work in a Pink Floyd song is OK by me ... :)

10. KP

KP Active Member

Haven't seen it yet, but let me echo the praise for Black Mass.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow... just wow.

Well... this is America.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A Voice in the Wilderness.

I thought it didn't hold together. Great first half, but I thought it lost its way.

SPOILERS OF A SORT

Leo is late for the hit and is asked why ... Help me, isn't the easy explanation traffic? Has the screenwriter ever tried to get a cab to the Boston airport?

And how did Leo keep finding his psyche's place ... especially after she vacated?

I think Marty struggles with the Irish thing ... sure to hear from the Hibernian Defamation League.

Could Jack turn the volume down to 10? Definitely a candidate for Oscar for Best Over-Actor.

Was that Martin Sheen or just a wood-carved likeness?

Finally, I'm sure to get killed for this, but I thought Gangs of New York was great (if sprawling) and The Aviator even better. Goodfellas succeeds because it tells one guy's story instead of two, three or whatever.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted