1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Departed (the let's-get-Marty-tied-with-3 6 Mafia thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

*SPOILER ALERT ... definitely don't read this if you haven't seen the movie!*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I loved it. More than I thought I would. One thing struck me at the end, though.

Look at all the great actors who died ... and Marky Mark is the one who lives?!

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm guessing the ladies still dig his Schwetty balls.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I agree with your comment on the closing shot, although I won't repeat it in the quote to avoid the spoiler issue.

I saw it yesterday and got really worried when that Blood Diamonds trailer aired. I thought, Holy crap, I'm supposed to think that movie's worth a damn with an accent I assume is South African, but could be Australian (or even French, I thought at one point), and how am I gonna get that outta my head for The Departed. Not to worry. Movie was too good.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Saw the movie and liked it. Jack can win an Oscar here and perhaps Leo too.

Why is Anthony Anderson in this movie?

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Holy heck did I enjoy this movie. ... Until the last shot. I guessed I missed the extreme subtlety of Nicholson's shirt, but the shot at the end, mentioned above, ruined the film for me, I may say. That was terrible. Far too literal, and a poor way to end the movie. The shot of MM walking out would have sufficed.

That said, I'll agree that everyone was good, but Baldwin made me laugh out loud a number of times.

And ditto on Anthony Anderson, poor addition to the cast.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I enjoyed this movie (echo everyone else, acting was great, wonderfully shot, good plot, definite Oscar nominee), but as me and my buddy left the theatre, we both had a kind of unsettled feeling -- like we couldn't compare it to MS's other mob movies.

*mild spoiler*

And then my friend said, "I think it is so different because the theme was so different. In all of his other mob movies, loyalty was Number 1. No matter what happened, you could always count on characters being loyal. In this movie, you could trust no one. It was like everyone was Fredo."

7. maberger

maberger Member

By Phoebe Flowers
    Sun-Sentinel

It's also simply wrong to declare this elegantly convoluted crime drama, adapted from the Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs and relocated to Boston, vintage Martin Scorsese. http://www.southflorida.com/movies/sfl-shdepartedoct06,0,4356560.story?coll=sfe-movies-promo

[/quote]

i love how film critics pretend they're smart by making what they think is an obscure foreign film reference, yet miss the entire point. how come no one ever thinks internal affairs is based on whitey, and not the other way around? as if a dorchester kid like mark wahlberg wouldn't have grown up with tales of whitey bulger? (btw, 'black mass' is the book to read if you want to know more.)

dicaprio acted damon off the screen; buddy of mine -- southie kid -- is in showtime's 'the brotherhood,' and there were many moments when dicaprio reminded me of him. baldwin fantastic, wahlberg real good. scorsese a little too cute with his rat-hole camera focus, 'psycho' and 'reservoir dogs' references.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

i love how film critics pretend they're smart by making what they think is an obscure foreign film reference, yet miss the entire point. how come no one ever thinks internal affairs is based on whitey, and not the other way around? as if a dorchester kid like mark wahlberg wouldn't have grown up with tales of whitey bulger? (btw, 'black mass' is the book to read if you want to know more.)

dicaprio acted damon off the screen; buddy of mine -- southie kid -- is in showtime's 'the brotherhood,' and there were many moments when dicaprio reminded me of him. baldwin fantastic, wahlberg real good. scorsese a little too cute with his rat-hole camera focus, 'psycho' and 'reservoir dogs' references.
    [/quote]

It's "Infernal"... and don't diss the Phoebs!

Again, Goodfellas had not one bit of a Hollywood transplantation feel as Sorvino, Liotta, Pesci and DeNiro are obviously deeply ingrained in the culture portrayed in the film.

The Departed had that mercenary, temporary feel oozing off the actors (with the extreme exception of David O'Hara), where with Goodfellas, I really felt that those guys were living that life even when the camera was turned off.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great fucking film... Best of the year and it's not close...

It's probably the best in several years...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nicholson is great as usual...

At some point DiCaprio is going to have to be forgiven for being the guy from Titanic... He's a great fucking actor...

Damon is great as usual...

Vera Farmiga is so fucking hot... She's like a younger, hotter Cate Blanchett...

11. part-timer

part-timer Member

There's the endorsement I've been waiting for...
    Now I need to find the time to go see it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We saw it Saturday.
    I really enjoyed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted