1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Departed" question -- SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN IT

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Sep 10, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At the end of the movie, when Donnie Wahlberg offs Matt Damon, does he do it for revenge for the suspension or because he was the FBI informant?
    I've seen it three times and still can't tell.... Happens a lot. Am still trying to figure out if Ernest Borgnine was the good guy or the bad guy in Ice Station Zebra....or if Patrick McGoohan was...

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He figured out Damon was the mobster's mole in the unit.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That seems like pretty stiff revenge for the suspension. I always assumed it was the latter. Or perhaps because Madolyn got word to Dignan that Damon was the rat and it was revenge for Costigan and Queenan.

4. I only watched the movie once, but that's how I read it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is how I read it too, but then I thought "what if Wahlberg was indeed the FBI informant and he got revenge for getting him suspended" If both were informants, Wahlberg got rid of the last possibility of exposure since Damon got people to believe the possibility

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Not to mention Anthony Anderson. (And it was Mark Wahlberg.)

7. This may have been covered before, but another Wahlberg makes a cameo in the scene where they are talking about Nicholson being a badass.
    I watched the credits and IIRC, it's Andrew Wahlberg.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Youre right.. it was...

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

What about when the mob guy gets shot and he's dying on the couch and he says to Leo, "Do you know why I didn't tell?" or something like that - I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters. So why didn't the mob guy rat out Leo? He knew he was a cop.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because the mob guy was a cop. They said that about five minutes later.

11. I always assumed that the package Costigan gave Madolyn had a copy of the audio CD, and that she mailed it to Dignam.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

guys, it's not that complicated. he did what he did at the end because damon is unforgivably evil and got good cops killed.

revenge for a suspension? seriously? c'mon.

Draft saved Draft deleted