1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Departed on DVD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Feb 13, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

(Alec Baldwin plays AHL hockey?)

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Would it be a bad idea to drive to Wal-Mart in the snow, half-drunk to buy said DVD?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

C-T's objection seems to be that the movie lacks an uplifting message.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's just not as good as everyone (including me) wants it to be. And five years from now, when everyone isn't so hellbent on getting Marty his first Oscar (when he should already own several) I think they'll see it for the fractured mess that it is. Damon and DiCaprio are both excellent, Baldwin is very good, and even Martin Sheen and Mark Whalberg have nice moments. But Nickelson seems to have graduated from the Al Pacino School of Late Career Overacting. He seems like he's playing a role in another movie. Everyone else in the movie is serious and grim, and Jack seems half the time to be playing Frank almost for laughs. I half expect him to crack jokes with Diane Keaton or Helen Hunt. To me, it just feels inauthentic compared to the overall tone of the film. Either Jack needed to scale back some of his wackiness, Marty needed to do it for him, or the rest of the players needed to lighten up a bit. I guess Jack's goof ball take on Whitey Bulger fits in with the snarky final shot of the film, but the final shot was the dumbest and worst part. To me, it will always be one of those films where you'll know it could have been so good, but just didn't come together in the end.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that to some extent. I just finished watching it again (saw it the week it came out) and it's still damn good. Still not sure why Marky Mark was nominated for an Oscar, though.

Baldwin was fabulous and it's the first time I ever saw Leo as a real talented actor.

Greatest movie about cell phones ever made, too.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

That's great.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd love to be the Nicholson crony who had an inkling of the future back in 1991.

"Hey Jack. In 15 years, you're going to star in a critically acclaimed, Oscar-nominated Martin Scorsese movie."

"Reeeeallly? Another nomination for ol' Jack huh?"

"Uhh no. You'll be overshadowed by that kid who just joined the cast of Growing Pains. And the acting nomination is going to Marky Mark."

"What the fuuuuuuuck?"

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I liked this movie a lot, but I think Double Down's analysis of Jack N. is right on. He just didn't do it for me. He over-played it, or under-played it (I'm still not sure which) and his character had no depth or nuance. He was just a cartoon. And that was the weak spot of what was otherwise a very good movie.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Of all the people I expected to get an acting nod, Walhberg was last on the list. To me his character started out at 100 MPH with all the "you fucking lace-curtain Irish fuck" and ended up in the same place.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought that also. I thought Decaprio should have gotten the nod.
    Jack may have overplayed it but he is still great. Without him the movie is not near as good.

The opening with him and Billy Costigan as a boy set tone for whole movie .

11. Was it Costigan? I always thought it was Sullivan as a boy.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - you are correct - Colin Sullivan was Damon character

Draft saved Draft deleted