1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Democrats and their stunning hypocrisy on oil.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes. That's both a "true" and "helpful" way to look at it. Any other gems of wisdom you want to contribute?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm with the libs on this one. I believe the studies that show ANWAR won't help that much. A president with gumption would do the following:

1. Lower the nationwide interstate highway speed limit to 60. Enforce it. Fuck the truckers who don't think they can make time with their deliveries at 60. They can drive 60 or pay $5 for diesel. Take your pick. 60 as opposed to 70 is 10 minutes per hour. Is it that much of a headache?

2. Gradually eliminate the 6 and 8-cylinder engine. Sonofabitch, we've got the technology to make these damn cars gas-efficient. I'm all for personal choice but this is bordering on a national emergency. Tell them to quit making Humvees and Escalades. It's not like they're moving a lot of those cars off the lot right now anyway.

3. Go more nuclear power. We've come a long way since TMIsland. If the French can manage the number of nuclear power plants they have without fucking up, so can we.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I'll take hondo's suggestions one leap further (that will never happen, of course):

Make it illegal to sell a car that goes faster than the speed limit.

What possible argument against it could anyone give?

"But . . . I MUST be able to break the law. You cannot deny me that right."

4. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

The tears of the American consumer at the gas pump should provide more than enough water.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's amazing the disconnect between the article as she is written and Tony's understanding of it.

BTW, Canada is the single largest supplier of oil to the US.

The single most important issue regarding NAFTA was never about free trade or "opening up the borders" NAFTA specifically states that Canada cannot deny access to the US to either oil or water which are considered commodities and not "natural resources".

Anyway, Jones had the best advice: use less.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Good Lord. Did hondo just reference the French in a positive light? Have I stumbled onto TwilightZoneSportsJournalists.com?

As has been pointed out before, gas in most of the rest of the world is far, far more expensive than it is here. Yes, there are far more widely available sources of public transit, and the countries are much smaller geographically. But they also drive very small cars, and almost all of them have stick shifts. You don't see many Hummers on the M4.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Depends on how lucky you got in Hamburg that night.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The M4 was a reference to England's motorway system, but I'll allow the point to stand. ;)

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sand?

Jones, why do you hate America?

:D

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because he's a Canadian? :)

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

What stuns me is this: The combustible engine was invented more than a century ago when technology was primitive, at best. And yet, here were are in 2008 with more technology than we know what to do with and there is no alternative energy source close to that of oil and gas? We can clone sheep, harvest human organs and we can't run a car on solar power?

I don't get it. I really don't.

By the same token, I look at all the things humankind has accomplished and can't help but think there will be an alternative.

It's fucking mind boggling. It really is.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Not when it's raining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.