1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Democrats and their stunning hypocrisy on oil.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sure. After I see a source that shows how all the wildlife in the huge ANWR provice will be killed by drilling in a minutely small portion of it.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I asked first.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

So instead of 1 penny, it would be 2 pennies.

You got me!

4. old_tony

No, actually it would be closer to a dime. Why you would want tens of millions of dollars a day in the hands of OPEC instead of US interests is telling, though.

5. This is a good post, Grimace. The government, so focused on polls and getting re-elected, has become an extension of its ignorant populace. We'd rather sue than conserve oil, and we'd rather borrow ourselves into a larger deficit in order to lend ourselves money (stimulus checks) than tighten our belts. We see it everyday in homes. Now we're seeing it in government.

I really don't understand the polarization of politics on this site. Most of us are journalists. We shouldn't be so quick to defend one side and blame the other. It's dumb and short-sighted and only leads to more ignorance.

Call a spade a spade, but don't do it to win points for one party. They're all losers in my opinion.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

A dime! So if I fill up my 15 gallon car that would be. . .$1.50! And again, that's in 2025. In 17 years. How much will gas be then? How much will a dime/gallon make a difference then?

And now we've changed the subject (shocking) and we're talking about those darn, rascally OPEC people?

The way you change subjects when your arguments are sliced up by the facts is telling, though.

7. old_tony

Of course, if we're paying $8 a gallon in 2025, then you can rest assured that the price difference will be something like a quarter a gallon.

I'm not changing the subject at all. If we drill in ANWR, gas and oil will be cheaper than if we don't.

Every. Single. Day.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Or, you know, you could use less oil.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, no we can't.

We are 'Mericans who own the world and therefore are OWED cheap oil by the rest of you people we let live on our planet.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I'm not arguing it wouldn't be cheaper, I'm arguing that the difference wouldn't be significant enough to make a real difference.

Until we fundamentally change our approach to oil and transportation -- and as long as we allow ourselves to be suckered by politicians that we're just one gas tax holiday or one magic oil field away from cheap gas -- absolutely nothing will change.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There's not nearly enough economic value to make it worth the trouble of drilling in the ANWR. All it would be is wasting time and resources just so Wonderland can prove it is Doing Something About The Problem.

Alternative fuels are a solution. Research into that area is useful.

Sticking your fingers in your ears, squeezing your eyes closed and loudly yelling, "LA LA LALA LA LA, LA LALA LA LA," while hoping for a petroleum-based miracle is not useful.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can you imagine how expensive gas would be if we DIDN'T go into Iraq. Thank You George Bush!
    Honestly, a sad stunt by Congress. There has to be a better way to get OPEC's attention, like get the DOJ look into the Saudi family's activities in the U.S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.