1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The demise of SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, May 14, 2010.

1. CR19

CR19 Member

I remember listening to Dan Patrick when he used to be on ESPN Radio. He was decent. But now, I can't stand to read these interviews in the magazine. I'd rather read another story than a radio transcript. But that may just be me.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Recycling beats working, it says here.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

That is very true. Few guys are willing to open up to them because of that. Reading between the lines of the Shaq story, you can tell there was limited access. All done in the training room.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Access has become the most overrated quality in journalism of all kinds, but especially sports, since it's rough translation is "the picture he/she/they want you to see." How much access to Shaq do you need to do a story? It's not like he's unknown, or that he can avoid speaking altogether. If I NEVER read another "Here's a slice of Joe Jock's life right after he won the big game" story I'll be a happy man. And since I control that issue, I will be happy -- by skipping them.

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

A few years ago I bought a collection of Sports Illustrateds on eBay. They were all between 1976-79 (this was before SI Vault came into existence.) I bought it because George Plimpton is/was my favorite author, and I also wanted to learn about other writers who were at the magazine at the time ... Frank Deford, Pat Putnam, Ron Fimrite, Robert W. Creamer, et al.

One thing of which I noticed SI doesn't do much anymore is stories/topics that took more than one issue to fully explain. In 1976, Deford wrote a series that lasted three weeks on religion in sports. It was fascinating, and I'm not that religious.

Think SI would ever follow a guy around a race track today? In 1979, it did, and Douglas S. Looney's first nine paragraphs of his story is one of my favorite intros:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095280/index.htm

And, George Plimpton's 1970 story about Ali's return to the ring against Jerry Quarry is my favorite of all time. Plimpton doesn't write about the fight, but rather the day of the fight. Can you do that today? I'm sure, but it hardly happens, which makes this excellent reading. If you read this, be sure to take note of Ali's exchange with a truck driver ... brilliant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084326/index.htm

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wonder how much mouthwash Farber had to gargle after he was done writing that Crosby story from two weeks back. Hideous suck job. And what was with the ridiculous cheap shots at Ovechkin? You can't write a glowing, dick-sucking piece on Sid without taking pot shots? I thought I was reading PittsburghPenguins.com.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bowie no longer exists as a live racing center, but if that story had run in SI anytime over the past five years,
    it would have been in the running for the best story
    of the year.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I almost stopped myself on that reference because I didn't recall it as being Penn -- seemed much later in the season, for one thing -- but I didn't, and now wish I had that one back.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Patrick is a vapid airhead. Try listening to his radio show and it takes less than 10 minutes to see that massive ego on display.

In contrast, Mike and Mike, who are on at the same time, are eminently more easy to listen to.

When it comes to Patrick in SI, I echo what others have said. Bad call by an editor in the first place to include him in the mag. All but indefensible so many months in to the "experiment." I like his board operators and booking guys much better.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Reilly/Patrick had been a straight "trade", it would
    be known as the epic "bad deal for both clubs".

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah, that was pretty awful.

I do think the quality of storytelling in SI has significantly decreased. And the great, truly talented writers never write much anymore. SI used to be the class of sports writing for many years, and now it's just in the pack.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

whew....that explains why my issue had Braden on the cover and why I don't recall seeing Shaq.

Draft saved Draft deleted