1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The demise of SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, May 14, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good-size Golf Plus is in the current issue. And two weeks ago, the Players Championship standalone I think precluded an insert in the mag.

2. CR19

CR19 Member

I have to agree. I still look forward to getting Sports Illustrated in the mail every Wednesday, even if it's a little weaker than what it used to be. Still, Dan Patrick shouldn't be in the magazine unless he actually writes an article. I rarely give his page a look, and I usually flip by it. In the end, though, I'd rather read SI than a magazine that players have complete control over (ESPN).

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I agree it's not what it once was but I stopped getting ESPN-The Magazine about a year ago (free subscription expired) and I haven't missed it at all. In fact, I'm happy to have that time back.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're getting older. That's all.

98 percent of sports is a cliche to me. There really aren't that many different ways to execute a pick-and-roll or turn a double play or throw a pass over the middle. With few exceptions, nothing is "must see" to me because, well, I've probably seen it.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There was a time when I just had to read every word in SI.

Now I haven't seen an issue in five years and I sure don't feel as though I've missed a thing.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And stay off his lawn! :D

7. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Maybe it's because I'm young, but I do enjoy the "big game" stories on Super Bowls, Final Fours, NBA Finals, golf majors, etc. I've seen those stories done very well in SI. There's usually good anecdotes and insight on things that were happening behind the scenes during the season that people didn't know about.

8. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

got the magazine yesterday and cringed at the Shaq cover, then turned immediately to the Virginia lacrosse story and then read the perfect game story. As a Blazer fan growing up near Portland, I started reading SI in the 70s and loved the NBA big-game coverage. loved all the big-event coverage through the years, actually. Still do, for the most part. I agree with others in that SI is not as good as it used to be but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. The landscape has changed significantly for SI, as it has for us guys still putting out dead-tree bird-cage liners.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I was fine with Dan Patrick on TV or the radio, but his SI gig is ridiculous. It's not even a fresh Q & A...it's simply an excerpt from his radio show from that week.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I will say this: The upcoming iPad app has a lot of promise. Once it's finally released -- whenever that may be -- I'll really, really want to like it, even as I fear that the concept's execution will leave me wanting more. (And, of course, they can make the app as glitzy as they want -- but if the writing's subpar, I'll be disappointed.)

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The thing about Sports Illustrated to me is, it's all about who wrote what. Frankly, if Chris Mannix or Pablo Torre or Austin Murphy or Albert Chen wrote a story, it's just not going to be as good as if Scott Price or Jon Wertheim or Gary Smith wrote a story. Sports Illustrated has loaded up on too many writers, and while all of those gentlemen would be exceptional beat reporters or columnists or even ESPN the Magazine writers, they're not fitting in a magazine that's thrived on literary brilliance in its past years.

Still, it's relatively cheap and Price, Wertheim, Smith, Posnanski, Wolff and a few others make it worth the price, even if you do end up having to wade through mostly unspectacular pieces.

With that said, I want to reiterate that I believe just about every writer for Sports Illustrated is very talented. I just think a guy like Mannix is at his best breaking stories on the website and compiling Inside the NBA.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An epic, preening, self-absorbed bore.

Draft saved Draft deleted