1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The demise of SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, May 14, 2010.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I started losing weekly interest in SI when they started mixing the athletes with Hollywood celebs. They had a page dedicated to what player from what team was dating whom, or what nightclub they were spotted at and with whom.
    They also had a page of (attempted) comedy, featuring one-liners from one of Dave Letterman's (?) joke writers.
    That's not why I subscribed to the magazine.

I started subscribing again (in exchange for soon-to-expire airline miles) but you can tell it's not close to what it used to be.
    I got my renewal notice at the same time that I got the May 24 issue, which devotes a whole page to "Lost", a series that I never watched, or had the desire to watch. I didn't need ABC cramming that show down my throat and I don't need SI doing it either.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You would like to think the launching of ESPN The Mag would have had a positive effect on SI - but I think it went in the other direction. More blurby, more graphics, shorter articles.
    But I suppose that's the way it goes in media. There is more competition and it seems whatever your product, newspaper, TV or radio you are seeking the widest audience and lowest common denominator.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

They finally had competition outside of Sporting News and felt they had to add in some of those ESPN gimmicky things to avoid getting over run...at least that's my guess.

I don't mind some of that stuff, but do enjoy the more in-depth pieces on sports or people you wouldn't otherwise hear about.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Never happened.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

It was brilliant when it was run by Howard Cosell.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just rewatch Season Two. It isn't bulletproof, but it's twenty times the show it is now. Talent is everything.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That, sir, is a brilliant, if obscure, reference.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Extremely obscure...but it was "Saturday Night Live." The show everyone mocks is/was "Saturday Night."

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think the name of the one that exists now was actually changed to "Saturday Night Live" awhile back, but your point is correct. Originally, it was merely "Saturday Night" -- hence Chevy Chase's tag line, "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!" Howard's show was "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell."

Neither to be confused with the Bay City Rollers' hit of the same vintage, "Saturday Night."

Draft saved Draft deleted