1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The deficit driven life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I was actually being sarcastic but I forgot to use the font. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but I cannot believe a church trustee would choose those words.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You tithe because you are being obediant to God.

His promise is that if you are faithful with your tithe and offerings he will bless you ten fold.

Where churches get into trouble is when they come right out and say or at least hint that "bless" is synonomous with getting more money or posessions in return.

Sometimes a blessing is great health and the ability to work.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Tithing is one thing -- it is a command.

"Giving" is something else -- it's the over-and-above 10% gifts that televangelists, especially, are guilty of telling people that they should give in exchange for "blessings" (read: wealth) that will come. That is done willfully, not as an attempt to get greater riches in return.

You're right -- God does bless a tithe and gifts given out of the right mindset and heart. The gift given with an ulterior motive ("if I give, I'll get more money") probably won't be.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So you mean when I sent that ten bucks to Jimmy Swaggert a few years back because he said I'd be blessed and then won $50 with a raffle ticket, the two were not connected?

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Glad that's clear.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey, I was asked to be a trustee. I do not lead a service or choose the topic of the sermon.

As a trustee, I make sure we have a safe, warm place to worship, and that the little girl in my avatar will have a safe, warm place to worship when she grows up.

Roof, grounds, asphalt, HVAC, and all the other stuff is what I look over. I have a very strong background in handling tax money and donated moeny, so they must have thought I was a good fit. I said certain words before they asked. I will continue to use those words. What I will never do is steal or piss money away.

What I love is when I hear that "God will provide." Well guess what? God provided you me to be a trustee, so lets be a little smarter with the money.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Post of the day. :D

Or something.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Glad to see Christian character and personal testimony came into play when they made their decision.

Trustee fail.

But it's not for me to judge. Sorry, I don't know why your attitude bothers me, but it does. Forgive me.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know it sounded pompous as anything when I typed it, but oh well.

I was asked to do this, and trust me I was shocked.

I have no say in the where the funds go for care projects, but I have no problem telling a guy he cannot do his nets project this year if it means we can have a vehicle that will bring our elderly shut-in members to church once a week.

I was, and still am, pissed at the underhandedness of how he was funding the program.

When people give, they need to know exactly where their money is going. Too often public officials or church officials keep people in the dark so they can spend the money the way they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted