1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The deficit driven life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

URGENT: SEND MONEY!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/31/AR2009123101234.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for churches to send letters to members listing the finances and saying that they are short for the year, quarter, etc.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dear Saddleback Family,

HELP! I FUCKING LOST $900,000 IN VEGAS LAST WEEK!

(And 2 points for the thread title.)

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We got ours about three weeks ago.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Couldn't he recoup that with more merchandising? Like The Purpose Driven Life's Little Instruction Book? Or The Purpose Driven Fuzzy Dice?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How many of those are headed by multimillionaires?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just putting that out there. I could argue either ways over whether Rev. Rick should be making up deficits of his church.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

For all I know he could have billions secretly stashed away, but I found this interesting:

As the money has rolled in from his book, Warren stopped taking his $110,000 annual salary and repaid the church for his 25 years of salary since its founding. He and his wife became "reverse tithers," he said, keeping 10 percent of their income and giving away the rest, including $13 million in 2004.

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060126/news_1c26warren.html

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At our church they have a huge posterboard that is updated weekly showing how much donations are compared to expenses etc... I'm not doubting the accuracy, but it's really fucking tacky.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Not unsual for churches. It's a way for them to be transparent and to show people where their money is going.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Tacky, yes, but a church's budget is directly tied to how much everyone is willing to pony up when the basket is passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted