1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The decades' best directors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That film was the most angry I've ever been walking out of a theater.

Not the worst film of all-time, but by far the most disappointing.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It was deplorable. Razzie-deserving.

3. Mizzougrad96

"If I was given the power to go back 10 years to right one wrong in this world, I would go back and beat George Lucas to death with a shovel." - Patton Oswalt

4. Those are guys along with Hill and Lumet I would have never considered, but worth mention.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Howard's not without talent, but I can't get over his self-serving habit of
    shoving truth into the back of the bus for the sake of plot and flow. And
    his offenses in this area are too numerous to count.

6. That's the way I feel about Oliver Stone.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's been a long time since Howard has had a bomb and for someone who makes 1-2 movies a year, that's damn impressive.

That being said, I don't think his movies are going to have the staying power that Cameron, Spielberg, Fincher and some other directors who don't work nearly as frequently.

With rare exceptions (Frost/Nixon) Howard's movies are usually very mainstream and very profitable. The finished product might not be on the level of a few other directors, but I'll bet if you asked a studio which director they most want to work with, Howard would be at the top of the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted