1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Ryan, so you would be ok with Susan Atkins, Leslie Van Houten and Patricia Krenwinkel being set free? They were only 21 when they went on their rampage. I'm sure they're all nice people by now. Hell, Atkins is hanging on by a thread anyway. Let's forget that she tasted Sharon Tate's blood after stabbing Tate to death despite pleas of mercy for her and her unborn child.

2. Not to speak for him, but I don't think he said he was in favor of parole in all cases - but that it should be judged on a case-by-case basis, and that it is POSSIBLE for someone to be rehabilitated, not a sure thing or necessarily even likely.

3. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

No, but those three were awfully similar, perhaps even better examples. They were followers of a lunatic, caught up in a world of drugs, and snuffed a bunch of people. You could almost argue that they were more accomplices. Then you remember exactly what they did and wonder why they weren't hanged in front of City Hall.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

First, I never said I didn't feel sorry for the dead father. Don't assume, Mizzou.

Second, Waylon is correct. I think it's a case-by-case basis. I think some people deserve to spend the rest of their lives in jail. Just not everyone. A 16-year-old girl has a better chance of being rehabilitated than a 32-year-old man who went on a shooting rampage. The latter is a fully developed human at the time of his crime. The former still has a chance.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I always love this quote when this topic is broached:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a DNA expert at the FBI fudging results?

And how many innocent men have Texas and Illinois put to death?

One innocent man put to death is too many, and life without parole is not a life in Candyland.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't feel sorry for murderers, sorry...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Then why not put them all to death, not just cop or child killers?

And you still have told me why a cop's or child's life is more valuable than yours or mine.

9. Having said that, Mizzou, say that girl murdered her dad because he had been molesting her since she was say 8?
    Does that make a difference?
    In my mind it does.

I am an ardent supporter of the death penalty.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Orville, what does the death penalty accomplish?

11. Death.
    The end of life.

What more do I need it to acomplish?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So killing is good?

Draft saved Draft deleted