1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

To get this discussion away from Anne Pressly's thread:

Points to consider:

• So when is the death penalty appropriate punishment?

• Should there be inmates sitting on death row for 10 or 20 years appealing every possible technicality (all at the taxpayer's expense)?

• If it's not a good method of punishment for a crime, what is a deterrent for society's worst?

Hopefully, that gets the discussion started.
  2. 1) It is never an appropriate punishment in a modern society.
    2) It does seem we could we could speed up the process, but I don't think it's worth risking killing innocent people to do so.
    3) There is no deterrent for people who are crazy enough to kill. They obviously don't think about consequences of their actions, so there is no consequence that will stop their actions.
  3. 1. Never. Unless you count an action when someone is in imminent danger - i.e. a police officer shooting and killing someone in the middle of a rampage or something along those lines.

2. I guess my answer to 1. makes No. 2 moot. Economics should not be part of this equation. We laugh about how tiny a percentage of earmarks that John McCain's "wasteful government spending" is? I can't imagine how tiny the percentage going to appeals processes is. I try not to question people's motives too often, but sometimes I feel like this argument is just a smokescreen for bloodlust. Plus, some people enjoy showing as little mercy as humanly possible. Makes them feel strong, I guess.

3. Fixing society is the answer, not harsher penalties.

Also, and I hope this doesn't come off as really, really callous, but living with some crime is the price we're always going to pay for our many freedoms. We have to, of course, minimize it. But I think that's done on the front end, through things like early childhood education, etc., not harsher penalties on the back end.
  4. Chef

Chef Active Member

End well, it won't.
  5. I think people have gotten better about these discussions, though. Let's see if we can take emotion out of it and have a reasoned debate.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

Thread 1,456 on the topic.

Most western countries resolved this issue, oh, forty or so years ago.

Every so often a politician up here will raise the subject and most people will look a the person like they just sprouted an extra head.
  7. Like gun control, it's an issue that Dems are scared shitless to touch.
  8. fixed.
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you kill a policeman or a child, you deserve to die.
  10. Maybe so. Not for us to decide, though. Certainly not for the government to decide.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Should we flip a coin?
  12. So much for the intelligent debate I predicted.
Draft saved Draft deleted