1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Death Penalty, Nearing Its End'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What does your opinion of whether he should be a cop have to do with the conversation? Hell, what does it have to do with where he was hired?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

My opinion? think others may hold the same opinion that if a cop has twice failed a psych test they wouldn't want him working in their town.

3. cjericho

You think it's a good idea to hire cops who have twice failed the psych test?

4. bigpern23

Probably. Fortunately, he's an exemplary officer who has been commended on many occasions over the years, including literally saving the lives of four citizens on three separate occasions (car accident, near drowning, near hit-by-train - seriously).

I'm still not really sure what this has to do with the death penalty, but if you want his resume, I'll have him send it over to me tomorrow.

5. bigpern23

I'm assuming test results are not shared among academies. Maybe they are. I have no idea.

6. cjericho

Yeah among those who do thorough backround checks they are. Have a buddy who worked as a CO in one jail, applied for another police job. They asked for the results of a chief's test he took when was 19, for a place he never came close to working.

7. cjericho

Nah, never asked for his resume. Just my opinion that someone who has twice failed psych tests should not be a cop.
    Guess some people think it's more important where a cop stands on the death penalty.

8. bigpern23

You're not making any sense at this point. What does "Guess some people think it's more important where a cop stands on the death penalty" mean? More important than what?

I've been waiting since you first questioned how many police officers I know for you to come out and say your true intent with fishing expedition you've been on. I sincerely doubt it's about the fitness to serve and protect by a person you've never met, who has an exemplary record of service. I suspect you do not believe me, but you haven't had the stones to say what you mean.

I'll say this - Failed psych tests or not, support of the death penalty or not, my friend is one of the best, most-honored men on his force and his community is damn lucky to have him protecting and serving.

I got a like on my post about this conversation not moving the thread forward, which I assume means at least one person agrees with that assessment. Thus, I'm going to stop talking about my friend who supports the death penalty and I'm happy to participate in the thread going forward as it pertains to the original topic.

9. cjericho

You asked why it matters, and I told you it matters because I do not think anyone who twice fails a psych test should a cop. No fishing there big guy, that's my opinion. If no one else shares that opinion I do not care, but I'd wager more than a few people agree.

Glad you got a like though.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. cjericho

You asked why it was important where he works. I answered. It's important because I don't think anyone who has twice failed a psych test should be hired as a cop. Understood? Is that fishing?

Funny that I'm not making sense now. You brought up how your one buddy who is a cop and is for the death penalty, failed the psych test twice for a police job. You were clearly trying to say something there. Now you try to say I don't have the stones to say what I mean. I say if if he twice failed a psych test he shouldn't be hired, can't say it any clearer than that.

What's funny is you used him twice failing a psych test, and being in favor of the death penalty, to show that intelligent or sane people should be against the death penalty. Now you don't have the stones to admit that was your intent.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If you want to delve into the theology of this, you have to examine the word used in Exodus 20:13. Here is a relevant study -- Ligonier Ministries

Not saying you have to agree, just an interesting topic for discussion.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Guys, this was a pretty good discussion today. Take this outside, figuratively.

Draft saved Draft deleted