1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Death Penalty, Nearing Its End'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. he brought up that he had a few friends who were cops and all but one were against the death penalty. he said the one who was against the death penalty happened to twice fail the psych test for police jobs. why would that be mentioned? then i said someone who twice fails a psych test should not be hired as a cop.
    is it wrong to feel that way?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, the statement "Guess some people think it's more important where a cop stands on the death penalty" makes zero sense in the context of this conversation. Where my friend works has nothing to do with the topic of the death penalty. Your opinion of his fitness to be an officer is immaterial to the topic. Yes, you were fishing. You pretty obviously did not believe that several of my friends are officers and only one supports the death penalty. You thought you were going to nail me in some sort of "gotcha" moment by fishing for information about the one who supports the death penalty.

The reason I edited my original post to add the bit about him failing the psych tests was because his objectively sociopathic tendencies - which include impaired empathy and lack of remorse - are germane to why he might be the one cop out of my friends who supports the death penalty. I never questioned his intelligence or sanity, nor did I question the intelligence or sanity of anyone else.

Now, if you're done repeating yourself, let's move back to the original topic.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I don't think we can allow any more interesting topics or discussion here until we find out what bigpern's friend regularly eats for lunch. Priorities, man.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So did bigpern's friend pass the police test? I missed a few episodes.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I want to know where the friend works so I can avoid the town.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love when this board makes me literally laugh out loud.

7. cjericho

He failed a psych test twice for two different departments. But then got hired at another one. There shouldn't be a problem with a cop getting hired after twice failing a psych exam, should there?

8. cjericho

Maybe if you stated that him failing the psych showed his lack of remorse, it wouldn't have been read to show he may not be mentally fit to be a police officer. When I read that someone twice fails the psych test for a police job, it tells me that person should not be a cop.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Your point has been made and documented. I think we are ready to move on.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nathaniel Woods: Alabama executes inmate - CNN

The facts of the case are kind of messed up. Three cops killed by one gun. Three sentenced to death. This one was a 10-2 decision (non-unanimous decisions are inherently racist). I get that even the driver of a getaway vehicle is charged in an armed robbery, but the death penalty for all three? When the guy who pulled the trigger said he was the one who shot all three?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let's remind everybody that the one crime specifically mentioned in the Constitution as a death penalty offense, is treason. Good to know next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted