1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Death Penalty, Nearing Its End'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

New York Times editorial today, both calling for an end to the death penalty, and predicting its end is imminent.

Public support is now at less than 50 percent, according to a recent Pew poll. You can be sure that has caught the Court's eye.

I hope, first, to win my current client's case and get his sentenced changed or overturned completely. Alternatively, I hope I can keep the case going until, inevitably, the death penalty is barred in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/o..._r=0&mtrref=www.nytimes.com&assetType=opinion

amraeder likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the Democratic Party nominee's position on ending the death penalty?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She believes it should be retained for very limited circumstances, I believe, namely terrorist attacks.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to support the death penalty when I was younger, but given the way it is applied disproportionately to black men and the possibility for an innocent person to be executed, I find my support has waned. It does not serve as a deterrent, thus its only function is to serve vengeance. I'd be OK with abolishing it.

FileNotFound, Ace and Liut like this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

President Trump will have televised executions every week!

TowelWaver, HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It has always been applied disproportionately to people who had the least power and/or money, and it has always existed with a great possibility that innocent people were being executed. ... actually more than a possibility. A probability.

Aside from that, it's just barbaric, in my opinion.

Ace and HC like this.
  7. bigpern23

Understood and agreed upon. As a younger man, that didn't concern me as much as it does now.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Vengeance is not the only function. It also prevents someone who murders from doing it again.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. bigpern23

So does incarceration, for the most part.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes. if the person is never released from prison. although people have been killed in prison.

11. bigpern23

Right, of course. I'm thinking that anyone who would have been sentenced to death would instead be sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole.

And, of course, that person could conceivably murder another inmate while in prison, though homicides in prison are exceedingly uncommon (there were 741 deaths of inmates by homicide in local and state prisons between 2000-2010, I assume the vast majority of which were committed by other inmates). It's a rate of about 3 homicides per 100,000 prisoners.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Considering this notion that killing someone stops them from killing someone else:

1) That assumes that all the people who get condemned to death were actually guilty. I am personally horrified by the notion that even one innocent individual might get swallowed up by our conveyer belt criminal justice system that has a propensity for doing the wrong thing at times, and at its worst can be downright corrupt in railroading innocent people. There is so much evidence that demonstrates that the kinds of gross miscarriages of justice that actually occur are more common than the "one innocent individual" scenarios I am talking about, for what it is worth. Our criminal justice system gets it wrong way too much. Put it in terms of yourself. Imagine yourself stuck in a Kafka novel in which you are going to be executed because you were found guilty of something that you didn't do. ... and nothing you do can get the system that has condemned you to see the truth.
    2) Even if that wasn't the case (about us getting it wrong) state-sanctioned murder of its citizens is still barbaric, in my opinion. We could chop off the legs and arms of everyone convicted of murder, too, I suppose to "prevent them from killing again," if that is really your rationale. Does that work for you? At what point do you take a step back and say, "You know, that isn't the kind of society I want to be a part of."? Yeah, people do horrible things. ... such as commit murder. It doesn't mean we have to compound it by being equally barbaric. i.e. -- the two wrongs don't make a right thing we all grew up hearing. Just my opinion, of course.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted