1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of the Sunday coupon (or another bad sign)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Pizza places were the best places to rip off with the phony coupons in college. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything ...

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Coupons, at least grocery store ones, can be pernicious in that they are generally for national-brand non-staple items that you don't need or that you can get cheaper by picking the store brand even taking the coupon into account. A better way to save money is to discover which stores brands at your market are at least as good as the more expensive brand-name alternatives. I have found that cheeses and fish sticks are the only things that store brands consistently suck at. Also, buy for several days at a time, make a list, try not to buy a ton of frozen convenience items (which are often at least as expensive as a restaurant meal) and don't go on an empty stomach. It also helps if you're not brand-loyal to a certain soda or a certain ice cream; the store alternates which ones are deeply discounted in a given week. So it would suck if you hafta have Pepsi the week Coke is four twelve-packs for 10 bucks.

Um, as to the actual point of the thread... :-\ Would be crushing for papers.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The other ones that are the best to scam the grocery stores are for anything baby related, like diapers, formula and baby food... If you search online you can find coupons that will save you a fortune and if you snip off the expiration date, they'll take them at most places...

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I would say that the Wednesday and Sunday editions fund the paper. Those are the days, that traditionally the inserts have run in.
    Grocery stores on Wednesday and big box stores on Sunday.
    That's why weekly, community papers are still doing very well.
    If grocery store inserts go away, you can count on about half of the country's weekly papers folding with in a year.
    Weird factoids of the day: The amount spent on car advertising is the highest in the country. No. 2? Cereal advertising. Cereal sales are tops at the grocery store, followed by soda, bread and milk.
    Cereal also has the highest brand loyalty. Followed by soda.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I was at a product study seminar, and I was blown away when they told us cereal had greater brand loyalty than soda.

6. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

That's what Photoshop is for.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That explains why cereal never goes on sale.

Although Target/Wal-Mart carry it at a 35% discount. They never discount soda that much.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Most of that stems from your childhood favorites, right?

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, and it's not close... I can deal with Coke over Pepsi and vice versa, but if it's not Cheerios or Kellogs' Raisin Bran, I'm not buying it...

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You look at the loss of general classifieds, job listings, cars and other specific ad classifications, but at least the hearing aid industry is still supporting newspapers.

11. Mizzougrad96

You're joking right?

Sam's Club and Costco sell everything five percent over cost. A 24-pack of Mountain Dew is almost $7.00 at Sam's.

If you watch the sales, you can 12-packs for $2.50 each, and sometimes even five for $10.

Soda sales are the biggest way to get people into the grocery store. They lose money on the soda and then make it back when people do their regular shopping there.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's nothing to shout about. Certainly not a 35% discount over grocery store prices.

12 pack for $2.50 = 144 ounces for $2.50. A pair of 2-liter bottles (134 ounces) costs $2.65 at the grocery store when on sale.

Cereal at grocery store costs me $3.99. At Target it's $2.50.

Draft saved Draft deleted