1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of the Sunday coupon (or another bad sign)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/TheDeathOfTheCoupon.aspx

Well, it's not dead yet, but could be headed that way.

No companies really think going all electronic will help the coupon industry? Sure, people don't clip coupons as much anymore, but are they really going to take the time to log on to the computer, punch in the loyalty code and print them out?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The worse the economy gets, the more people will use coupons.

Hell, we save an average of $5 per week on groceries thanks to them.

3. It should be noted the Food City in my town no longer takes coupons printed off the Net. "Store policy" is the only reason given.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hell, you can get a free subscription to the newspaper just by using a few coupons.

I was once complimented by a grandma in line behind me for my coupon use. I usually knock 40% off my bill via coupons and store deals.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Simply forsaking blind-brand-loyalty brainwashing will save you a TON of money.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If they send those coupons directly to my e-mail so that all I have to do in hit "print" -- as I do with my favorite local place for subs from time to time -- then yeah, there will be some who do that.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Just as scary are what Target and Best Buy have done on Sundays of holiday weekends when they didn't put out their regular fliers but announced they would be available online only those days. Of course, they announce that in the previous weekend's flier.

8. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

My main supermarket in town just posted signs they're not taking Internet coupons any longer - too much fraud.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"More than $.13 cents in Coupons Inside!"

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a seminar a little more than a year ago where they essentially said, "As soon as Best Buy, Circuit City and local furniture and grocery stores find a better way to distribute their ads/coupons that you're going to start seeing whole papers begin to fold...

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Mizzou is right for two reasons.
    If all the inserts go online, it will hit the papers that print those circulars and at some places commercial printing is a bigger business than the paper. Also if you have a mechanical inserter, you have almost zero labor cost and the stores provide the inserts so papers don't pay for.
    Inserts are almost 100 percent profit.
    But as already noted, online coupons are perfect targets for fraud and stores are dropping them.
    Mail isn't the answer for most places since bulk mail is about three times as expensive as doing an insert.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Also, Sunday's ad revenue funds almost the entire paper...

Draft saved Draft deleted