1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Death of Neoconservatism?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm afraid that the strain has been too much for folks like Norm Podhoretz to bear.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/podhoretz/1474

To wit:

But I entertain an even darker suspicion. It is that the intelligence community, which has for some years now been leaking material calculated to undermine George W. Bush, is doing it again. This time the purpose is to head off the possibility that the President may order air strikes on the Iranian nuclear installations. As the intelligence community must know, if he were to do so, it would be as a last resort, only after it had become undeniable that neither negotiations nor sanctions could prevent Iran from getting the bomb, and only after being convinced that it was very close to succeeding. How better, then, to stop Bush in his tracks than by telling him and the world that such pressures have already been effective and that keeping them up could well bring about “a halt to Iran’s entire nuclear weapons program”—especially if the negotiations and sanctions were combined with a goodly dose of appeasement or, in the NIE’s own euphemistic formulation, “with opportunities for Iran to achieve its security, prestige, and goals for regional influence in other ways.”

If you lost track of the logical leaps and outright distortions of the truth, don't feel bad. That seems to be the point these days...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

God willing.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And the creek don't rise.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fucking peace-keeping liberals.

5. ... at any price.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good point. there are so many solid reasons to send our kids to iraq so they can die. thanks so much for refocusing the board. merry christmas.

7. Happy New Year, too. Hope we can say the same next year, too.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, looking forward to marching another 3,000 of our kids to their deaths for no fucking good reason. wish your president a happy easter, too.

9. Have a nice day, if you can.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lyman, you're a fairly reasonable guy, or at least you play one on a message board.

Read that essay and tell me that man isn't insane.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i can, chief. and while you're at it, cast two more votes for the death of america's young.

god loves you folks who qualify killing for cash.

12. Zeke, I'm not sure. If the intelligence community was so wrong about Iraq, is it possible they're so right now? I'd like it to be. But it's true the Bush Admin and CIA haven't exactly been best buds, either.

I will take the recent revelations about Iran at face value. I hope we don't get burned again.

What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.